Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Very nice, said D5N actually works just fine, only the RGB is dead which I absolutely don't care about.

Now to wait for the parts I ordered from Highflow and Watercool to come in the mail so I can fully reassemble the loop.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
And then I found out I can't even use the HFN on my external cooler: there's simply no space.

Oh well, i'll just use it in the HAF XB then!

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
oh **** you can't use Torque fittings with the aquacomputer cuplex blocks :( the screws interfere when torquing them down causing them to leak.

Good thing I didn't have to use the STC-Classic fittings in the HAF XB so I just placed them back and all is well. Now my Pentium 4 rig has temperature controlled water cooling lmfao

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I also upgraded the secondary rig to a 5800X3D, I now get an almost constant 60 FPS in VRChat, even in The Great Pug with >70 players. Absolutely insane how memory bottlenecked Unity is.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Oh dear:

I'm not sure whether i'll replace the TechN block in my secondary rig with it, or use the Optimus block on my B550 U-X. The TechN block has the upside of it using Hex screws which are easier to tighten than the Foundation block it's studs and nuts.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I always thought the Optimus system of threaded studs and thumbnuts was a plus. Very easy to mount and tighten as much as you want.
Don't ever have to worry about stripping out a crosshead or hex screw or nut.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I always thought the Optimus system of threaded studs and thumbnuts was a plus. Very easy to mount and tighten as much as you want.
Don't ever have to worry about stripping out a crosshead or hex screw or nut.
The screws for the Foundation block it's plastic part are weak though, they strip easily.

t. had to disassemble the block twice because of crap stuck in the coldplate, and me reassembling it the wrong way around

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
The socket head cap screws?? As long as you don't use the wrong size wrench or a worn out one with rounded corners, shouldn't have a problem.

The cap screws thread into the coldplate and not into plastic so can't strip out the plastic. One of the main tenets of Optimus block design is all screws thread into metal and never plastic.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
The socket head cap screws?? As long as you don't use the wrong size wrench or a worn out one with rounded corners, shouldn't have a problem.

The cap screws thread into the coldplate and not into plastic so can't strip out the plastic. One of the main tenets of Optimus block design is all screws thread into metal and never plastic.
I think the screws are imperial or some stupid shit, my iFixit toolkit it's driver seems to be stripping them.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Being an American company based in Chicago, yes, they use what you call Imperial screws. IOW UNC standard.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
OptimusPC REALLY needs to fix their goddamn CS, when I email them asking about my order I expect a reply, not to be kept in the dark.

Imagine spending €400 for their 4090 Strix block and being kept in the dark like this!

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
That is a common complaint. Lots of people have a very poor customer service. But others like myself always get great customer service. Rapid replies and shipped orders. Extras thrown in for no cost. Can't explain why the dichotomy.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Nice, my USA parcel is at Fedex's France depot so I should be receiving it early next week. Really hope I won't get raped by Customs considering there's two KPE GPUs in said parcel.

And that the VERY questionable 2080 Ti Kingpin I bought actually works besides the damaged waterblock threads.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
lul 2080 Ti terminal is absolutely ****ed, it's cracked all the way through at one of the fittings.

At least the card seems to work just fine!

Reactions: CyklonDX

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
i'm like 80% sure its one of those guys putting 2 or more water pumps and cranking up pressure, flowrate to max.
(over few years of heavy use the micro cavitation with heat from gpu will likely cause cracks)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
i'm like 80% sure its one of those guys putting 2 or more water pumps and cranking up pressure, flowrate to max.
(over few years of heavy use the micro cavitation with heat from gpu will likely cause cracks)
Nah, the threads were absolutely ruined on one of the holes, definitely overtightened.

Reactions: CyklonDX