Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Not a worry about Aquasuite stuff here. No Windows in sight. So no worries. Just use a standalone digital flowmeter. Shows me temps, rpm's and flowrate, so that is all I need. No drivers necessary.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
'kay, I got bored tonight and decided to swap over one of the pillars from the HK Tube res as it had RGB built in, which I don't really care about for my main system.

Now my old system has RGB in the CPU block, GPU block, the mobo, the High Flow Next, and in the res lol

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
what the actual F is this? Updated my CH7 to the latest BIOS and this happened when I opened HWiNFO:

o_O I no longer have the USB disconnecting issue and my HFN works under Win7 now?!

EDIT: Did some more diagnosis. Apparently I disabled the aquasuite service at one point which seemingly fixed my disconnecting issues. Weird. Oh well, i'll keep it disabled then. I don't really care about AS anyway since I have HWiNFO.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
The AQ suite probably doesn't utilize a mutex lock on the USB readouts. Hwinfo does. This prevents the flakiness of polling USB readouts constantly and dropout issues.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Got lucky and acquired a shitload of EK Quantum fittings from someone parting out their loop. Wanted black fittings but his were Black Nickel.

Oh well, €125 for two sixpacks of the EK-Quantum STC fittings, a 5-pack of P14 fans, 5 90-degree rotaries and shipping, why not. What I need to do with the P14's, idk. HWL GTS 420 time?

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Got lucky and acquired a shitload of EK Quantum fittings from someone parting out their loop. Wanted black fittings but his were Black Nickel.

Oh well, €125 for two sixpacks of the EK-Quantum STC fittings, a 5-pack of P14 fans, 5 90-degree rotaries and shipping, why not. What I need to do with the P14's, idk. HWL GTS 420 time?
That was a decent haul for the price actually.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I'm thinking of buying a Metro DataVac in the near future, since I screw around with crackpot ideas regarding water cooling being able to blow out the coolant out of my loop would be a VERY nice upside. Good idea?

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I'm thinking of buying a Metro DataVac in the near future, since I screw around with crackpot ideas regarding water cooling being able to blow out the coolant out of my loop would be a VERY nice upside. Good idea?
I guess that should work as long as the pressure doesn't build in the loop and blow fittings apart or balloon soft copper end tanks in the radiators.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
These things are a good investment in general. You can't break anything in a water cooling loop with it, the pressure is not nearly high enough. It's rather the other way round: they overheat quickly when choked for air flow, so be careful when using it to purge a water cooling loop. Short intervals, letting it cool down in between.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Super Mega Ultra JANK water cooling in my main, BUT IT DROPPED 20 DEGREES! And that's with open case and only 1 P12 on the 360mm top rad!

Pics after dinner!

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
A strange side effect of installing water cooling: my 3950X doesn't boost to ~4.8 GHz anymore, but the effective clock seems to have gone up instead.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
The way that the AMD overclocking algorithm works is that it robs from all the Peters (threads) to pay Paul (the one max boosted thread)
With all the cores at much the same temperatures across the board, all boats (cores) benefit from the rising tide (low temps) and all cores can sustain a much higher all-core clock under load.

But that means there is less leftover power margin to give the single max boosted core.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
The way that the AMD overclocking algorithm works is that it robs from all the Peters (threads) to pay Paul (the one max boosted thread)
With all the cores at much the same temperatures across the board, all boats (cores) benefit from the rising tide (low temps) and all cores can sustain a much higher all-core clock under load.

But that means there is less leftover power margin to give the single max boosted core.
that explanation made me lol so ****ing hard. I tried Y-cruncher and it pulled 220W (o_O) easily with PBO enabled. Didn't go above 87C though, impressive! I bet when I waterblock the 6900XT and use the front rad fans as intake temps will drop even more.

Another extremely strange thing I noticed: Y-cruncher FFT limits power use to 105W for some reason. AVX offset?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Coming soon, probably Saturday:

Waterblocked 6900XT Toxic? Hell yes! Death to loud pumps and loud fans!

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Received my D5 pump and top at last. About 2 hours of screwing around, cursing, cutting my fingers and trying to find out the loop order, I got a Reserator XT with a far better pump working.

Ended up using the Zalman bleeding hose as ironically it was long enough to reach the left side of the Ultitop's inlet port. Still haven't tested the RXT itself though.

Oh, and my Phobya AC-to-Molex adapter died :(