Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
To give you some idea of what your proposed full custom loop is going to look like in the future, this is one permutation with dual 360 rads. One in the roof and one in the front in a cpu-gpu single loop.

Darksider crop.png

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
And water cooling in my main system has been postponed until 2024 because:

Oh well, the stupid amount of money I was going to blow on a open loop in my system can go towards something like a new Toughbook, or parts for the M6700 Covet I yet have to receive.

EDIT: Emailed Sapphire Germany about it. My warranty is void if I remove the cooler. Great. Gonna box up the parts like the pump/rads and store them some place safe for now.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
And water cooling in my main system has been postponed until 2024 because:

Oh well, the stupid amount of money I was going to blow on a open loop in my system can go towards something like a new Toughbook, or parts for the M6700 Covet I yet have to receive.

EDIT: Emailed Sapphire Germany about it. My warranty is void if I remove the cooler. Great. Gonna box up the parts like the pump/rads and store them some place safe for now.
That's unfortunate. It is a simple matter to remove the existing cooling solution, stow it away in the original packaging and mount the custom block. Then reinstall the original cooling to sell it or return it for RMA. How would they know if you had converted it for a spell? And any "anti-tamper stickers over screws are invalid and can't be enforced.

Why I like buying from EVGA since their warranties are not void if you take the original cooling solution off to convert to another solution. As long as you return it to them in the original configuration it was sold as, no issues or questions asked and they will honor their warranty.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
That's unfortunate. It is a simple matter to remove the existing cooling solution, stow it away in the original packaging and mount the custom block. Then reinstall the original cooling to sell it or return it for RMA. How would they know if you had converted it for a spell? And any "anti-tamper stickers over screws are invalid and can't be enforced.

Why I like buying from EVGA since their warranties are not void if you take the original cooling solution off to convert to another solution. As long as you return it to them in the original configuration it was sold as, no issues or questions asked and they will honor their warranty.
Yeah but EVGA doesn't do AMD GPUs.

In other news, I bought parts to hotrod my Reserator XT:

EDIT: goddamnit they only had one of each QDC in stock. Oh well.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
And not only that, it seems I bought the wrong QDCs, ugh. Koolance with their confusing as shit product names doesn't help either.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
How badly will I screw up my rads in the main system by flushing them with a rad cleaner like Fleetguard Restore Plus? It's barely more expensive than Mayhems' their Blitz Kit, as I can clean more than one rad with it.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Depends on how caustic the solution is. I would not let it sit in the radiator for very long and for sure you must do extensive flushing of the corrosive solution from the radiator so no remnants remain or the solution will continue to corrode the internals in all the little crevices and seams.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Having just spent a ungodly amount of time trying to stabilize a OC on my old system, I guess i'm done screwing around for now.

CPU: 4.15 GHz @ 1.325v GET during y-cruncher
GPU: 1337 Mhz @ 1100mV/2125 MHz VRAM with stage 1 timings

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/ssk9te
Themed builds like this are so cute. Too bad my computer resides under my desk. Although... *contemplates getting a Mew figurine to put on his old system it's RX480*

Can someone tell me if the Watercool WCP D5 is any good? I'm thinking of buying one (€122 with the top though, ouch!) to add in the Reserator XT. I already ordered a 3-pin fan header to Molex adapter so powering it won't be an issue.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Oh, and I hotrodded the Reserator XT with:
QD3-FS10-P for the Reserator itself
QD3-MS10X13 if you have the original Zalman hoses or are using Mayhems Ultra Clear Tubing (3/8 - 1/2) 10/13mm
A 19mm drill to drill out the holes in the backplate
And a Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000 fan

The result: it still performs like shit because that pump in it is hilariously underpowered.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/ssk9te
Themed builds like this are so cute. Too bad my computer resides under my desk. Although... *contemplates getting a Mew figurine to put on his old system it's RX480*

Can someone tell me if the Watercool WCP D5 is any good? I'm thinking of buying one (€122 with the top though, ouch!) to add in the Reserator XT. I already ordered a 3-pin fan header to Molex adapter so powering it won't be an issue.
I think all Xylem D5's are very good. Best in class? That pump is the old Vario system that I think that Xylem no longer produces, so probably NOS (new old stock). Xylem I believe is only producing the PWM versions of the D5 now.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Stupid idiots from HardwareWebwinkel sent me the wrong adapter lmao

I think all Xylem D5's are very good. Best in class? That pump is the old Vario system that I think that Xylem no longer produces, so probably NOS (new old stock). Xylem I believe is only producing the PWM versions of the D5 now.
Said pump is not in stock at HF right now. No longer produced huh... interesting.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I looked at Xylem again and confirmed that they only produce the current model which is PWM controlled and has a SATA input power connector.
Any pump using the Molex connector is NOS and the same for Vario models with the speed selector switch.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I looked at Xylem again and confirmed that they only produce the current model which is PWM controlled and has a SATA input power connector.
Any pump using the Molex connector is NOS and the same for Vario models with the speed selector switch.
Well considering a D5 hasn't got any parts that could dry rot I don't have any problem with NOS.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I keep wanting to do a water cooling build in the AOpen H500 next to me with old school shit like a Aquacomputer Aquastream and a Zalman WB4, but I don't feel like spending a ridiculous amount of money... decisions, decisions...

Oh, and good news: HWW sent me the right cable and I could return the wrong one free of charge.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I got extremely bored tonight, looked up on tw*k*rs.net if warranty void stickers are legal (which they aren't) and decided to open up my 6900XT Toxic for a repaste.

Let's just say that was a ****ING NERVEWRACKING EXPERIENCE LIKE HOLY SHIT. This post on OCN was a massive help, and half an hour later I got my card reassembled.

Temps dropped over 30 degrees on junction and 15 degrees on core. In fact, my GPU boosts so hard now I had to lower the undervolt to 1175mV lol

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Congratz on your successful surgery. The first time pulling the cooler off a card for either repasting or adding water cooling is always nerve wracking and tedious.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Congratz on your successful surgery. The first time pulling the cooler off a card for either repasting or adding water cooling is always nerve wracking and tedious.
I had a issue with my VRM fan rubbing on the shroud or heatsink, but after some squeezing it fixed itself thankfully.