Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
god damn pump axle seal failed and dumped coolant in my case AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

For such a expensive pump I expected more from EKWB/Xylem. Good thing I caught it in time and didn't power on the system. Oh, and I got the money back for the PSU and bought a new Ion+ 760W.

EDIT: having disassembled half the loop it seems my reservoir has failed, and not the pump. Great, that's €90 in the trash for another res. Which I just did, I took my own advice and bought a Heatkiller Tube, a pedestal, and a 2nd HWL GTS 240 radiator for future GPU upgrade plans. (the RX480 in my main will go to this system when i'll buy a 6900XT Toxic later this year or so)

My shitlist: EKWB monoblocks and any reservoirs that use plastic i.e the Alphacool Eisstation.

Last edited:

schmookeeg

Mar 25, 2016
Alameda, CA
www.msxpert.com
god damn pump axle seal failed and dumped coolant in my case AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

For such a expensive pump I expected more from EKWB/Xylem. Good thing I caught it in time and didn't power on the system. Oh, and I got the money back for the PSU and bought a new Ion+ 760W.

EDIT: having disassembled half the loop it seems my reservoir has failed, and not the pump. Great, that's €90 in the trash for another res. Which I just did, I took my own advice and bought a Heatkiller Tube, a pedestal, and a 2nd HWL GTS 240 radiator for future GPU upgrade plans. (the RX480 in my main will go to this system when i'll buy a 6900XT Toxic later this year or so)

My shitlist: EKWB monoblocks and any reservoirs that use plastic i.e the Alphacool Eisstation.
How old was the build? My setup is pushing 3 years and I'm starting to wonder if it's going to get incontinent soon :D

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Good news, I got confirmation from HK that the coolant I use is safe for their res, and HF has shipped my order.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
MAXIMUM OVER JANK

I deliberately didn't cut the hoses to size because i'll be installing a waterblocked RX480 in the near future. (and that my hose cutter is buried deep in my pile of computer shit)

Reactions: itronin

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
So I guess i'm doing this. I bought a used D5 Next and Heatkiller Tube 150 Multiport off someone in Germany for my main system.

Later this month or so i'll be buying a shitload of fittings and some more ZMT. And when the 6900 XT Toxic EE drops below it's beyond retarded price of €1800 i'll be getting one.

EDIT: and because the seller also included a Multiport cap for the HK Tube I can make the loop in my old system much neater too!

Last edited:
Reactions: NablaSquaredG

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Do I have any use for a AC High Flow Next if I already have a D5 Next pump, or would a dumb temperature sensor suffice?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
The high flow next is a much more precise flow sensor, the D5 next basically just guesses (even aquacomputer say that)

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
The high flow next is a much more precise flow sensor, the D5 next basically just guesses (even aquacomputer say that)
€80 for a glorified Bosch AquaSensor is pretty steep though. That, and it's perpetually out of stock.

Oh, and I bought a TechN block and said fans. Now I only need more fittings but highflow is out of stock unfortunately.

End result should be a bit like this:

Considering how much metal components I intend of using in this loop, I know where I got my inspiration from:

Yes, Asko appliances, who are known for their metal instead of plastic parts. Hell, maybe I should use some of Asko's house colors (red, white, and stainless) in the loop, like red struts for the HK Tube? Custom-made SS pedestal for the reservoir? Stainless screws for the rads? Chrome instead of black fittings?

Last edited:
Reactions: RageBone

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Nice, I received my HK Tube/D5 Next combo off eBay. Stole the multiport tube for this clusterfuck of a build and this is the result:

Childhood dream achieved.

Still to do: acquire EK-Quantum Torque drain valve, buy a temperature sensor, and shorten the top radiator to front radiator hose. (if I can find that stupid hose cutter that is!)

EDIT: holy SHIT this thing is quiet. Running y-cruncher and temps don't go above 67c and I can barely hear it. Still got some air in the loop but that'll go out in due time.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
With the system powered on, rotate the case side to side and front to back to dislodge the trapped air pockets in the radiators end bells.
Don't let the air pocket in the reservoir get sucked back in the loop while purging.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
With the system powered on, rotate the case side to side and front to back to dislodge the trapped air pockets in the radiators end bells.
Don't let the air pocket in the reservoir get sucked back in the loop while purging.
Which I did, all air seems to be purged out of the system now. Also, the D5 Next pump included M4 nuts and bolts for whatever reason lol

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Boxed 6900 XT Toxic EE for sale for €1650.. think he'll take my offer of €1500?
Well considering I just looked this card up and Amazon is selling it for $2700 right now. I think your quote is a steal. I see its a hybrid card on a AIO and I really like hybrid cards. I've used about 20 of them so far in my PC life. Great temps and great clocks and no worries about overclocking.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Well considering I just looked this card up and Amazon is selling it for $2700 right now. I think your quote is a steal. I see its a hybrid card on a AIO and I really like hybrid cards. I've used about 20 of them so far in my PC life. Great temps and great clocks and no worries about overclocking.
Sent him a email with some questions. Hopefully i'm the first one to reply to his ad, €1500 for a 6900 XT Toxic EE? Sign me the F up.

Oh, and I don't care about the AIO, i'll be going open loop anyways. All this just to play GTA V in 3840x2400, lol. Stalker 2 has been delayed until December this year (and I am very certain GSC will **** it up somehow) but hey, for once in my life I want a top-end computer and this is my chance.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Mostly I've stuck to the EVGA Hybrids with a few Hydro Copper cards thrown in the past couple of years. I don't game but do distributed computing with BOINC running 24/7 on all my hosts. So the gpus never get a break. Neither do the cpus.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Went ahead and bought it. First impressions: the AIO pump is quite loud, HOLY SHIT 150 FPS ON THE NURBURGRING IN GTA V, and the card doesn't go above 55C.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I also installed the Bykski waterblock on my RX480 and TT5/Rstein is driving around Sandy Shores as we speak. Overclocked to 1375 @ 1175mV the card hasn't gone above 38 41C so far.

Water cooling: it ****ing rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith Myers