Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
My temps are atrocious for some reason though, 103c with y-cruncher at 4 GHz/1.35V. Air in loop?

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
There are several reasons for those temps:
- As you said, air in your loop. Bleed the loop again. The highest the res, the better. Also remember to tilt your case to move bubbles in your rad.
- Poor contact between your cpu and the monoblock/No enough thermal paste.
- Not enough pump speed.

That being said, it's not a little too much volts for 4 GHz?
My 2700 goes 4,1 GHz on all cores at 1.325V

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Which y-cruncher stress test. The BBP and SFT test will push the cpu the hardest. Not surprising at all you got over a 100 degrees at 1.35V.
I agree with Ralph, you shouldn't need that much Vcore for 4Ghz. The auto boost voltages will always push too much voltage for a fully loaded system. It is meant to only run 1 or 2 cores for max gaming frame rates.

Best to put in a manual fixed clock multiplier and then drop the Vcore down to the lowest needed voltage for stability with your intended loading.

But also likely you have air in the loop and the flow is restricted because of it. Get the air out first and then retry y-cruncher. My stress test is a run through the default tests of y-cruncher for 5 passes and if stable, it will be stable for any of my actual application loads.

Reactions: funkywizard

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
There are several reasons for those temps:
- As you said, air in your loop. Bleed the loop again. The highest the res, the better. Also remember to tilt your case to move bubbles in your rad.
- Poor contact between your cpu and the monoblock/No enough thermal paste.
- Not enough pump speed.

That being said, it's not a little too much volts for 4 GHz?
My 2700 goes 4,1 GHz on all cores at 1.325V
Which y-cruncher stress test. The BBP and SFT test will push the cpu the hardest. Not surprising at all you got over a 100 degrees at 1.35V.
I agree with Ralph, you shouldn't need that much Vcore for 4Ghz. The auto boost voltages will always push too much voltage for a fully loaded system. It is meant to only run 1 or 2 cores for max gaming frame rates.

Best to put in a manual fixed clock multiplier and then drop the Vcore down to the lowest needed voltage for stability with your intended loading.

But also likely you have air in the loop and the flow is restricted because of it. Get the air out first and then retry y-cruncher. My stress test is a run through the default tests of y-cruncher for 5 passes and if stable, it will be stable for any of my actual application loads.
I redid the loop (changed loop order to the correct inlet on the monoblock) and disabled my OC but it still seems to run hot, 90c in y-cruncher with all tests enabled.

Starting to think it might be related to the pump being not powerful enough. Oh well, buy cheap buy twice I guess.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I redid the loop (changed loop order to the correct inlet on the monoblock) and disabled my OC but it still seems to run hot, 90c in y-cruncher with all tests enabled.

Starting to think it might be related to the pump being not powerful enough. Oh well, buy cheap buy twice I guess.
I generally agree with that sentiment. Just get a Xylem D5 pump and call it done. Plenty of flowrate and head pressure. Your HWL GTS240 is considered a high flow restricted component. And your Alphacool DC-LT 2600 pump only pushes 100L/hour. That is really low for that radiator. The D5 on the other hand pushes 1500 L/hour. A much better fit for your components in my opinion.

Because you are using a monoblock, you will get higher temps than if just cooling the cpu. The VRM's are dumping significant wattage into the loop also.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I generally agree with that sentiment. Just get a Xylem D5 pump and call it done. Plenty of flowrate and head pressure. Your HWL GTS240 is considered a high flow restricted component. And your Alphacool DC-LT 2600 pump only pushes 100L/hour. That is really low for that radiator. The D5 on the other hand pushes 1500 L/hour. A much better fit for your components in my opinion.

Because you are using a monoblock, you will get higher temps than if just cooling the cpu. The VRM's are dumping significant wattage into the loop also.
I disagree, a CH7 has one of best VRMs on X470 and with a Ryzen 2600 running at stock/65W the amount of heat is negligible.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
So I see no need for the monoblock in the first place since you are running such a low powered cpu and the VRM's are barely working.

I run much higher powered cpus like 3950X and 5950X on my C7H's and only need standard case air flow to keep the VRM temps in the 50's.

I still maintain the pump is the weak link in the chain. Not enough flow in the loop.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
So I see no need for the monoblock in the first place since you are running such a low powered cpu and the VRM's are barely working.

I run much higher powered cpus like 3950X and 5950X on my C7H's and only need standard case air flow to keep the VRM temps in the 50's.

I still maintain the pump is the weak link in the chain. Not enough flow in the loop.
I went with a monoblock for shits 'n giggles anyways, it wasn't much more expensive than something like, say, a TechN block.

Eisstation+D5 pump will probably come in the future, I have a large order of Precision parts awaiting payment, and that computer was more a Proof of Concept that I can make a loop that doesn't **** up my mission critical main system.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
OK. I haven't ever seen a post of a monoblocked mobo that conclusively proved that it was the best cooling solution. Always seemed a compromise. Lots of posts of poor fitment because of the varying Z height of all the components it has to cool.

VRM's are meant to be run hot and still well within temperature limits and a dedicated and optimized cpu block will always get the best performance.

Also without a proper reservoir your coolant never has a chance to cool down in the reservoir and spread the heat load into a larger thermal mass.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Now that my old computer has water cooling that somewhat works and isn't leaking, I can start planning the loop in my new system.

Are the TechN AMD blocks any good?

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
They are supposed to be pretty decent. There was a test/review by Igor's Lab I think that compared it to the Watercool HeatKiller IV and the EKWB Magnitude block and they were all within a degree of each other I think.
The TechN one supposedly beat the others by a tenth of a degree or something. I think they were all within measurement error in my opinion.

I use Optimus blocks and they are VERY good. The TechN one is less expensive. I don't personally care for the looks but that is subjective.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Scored a rather cheap and nearly new Black Ice 360mm radiator, so there's the first part for my second loop.

Still need to acquire a better GPU for my main system though.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Oh boy I managed to score a Eisstation VPP res from someone in Germany. I also ordered a EK-Loop D5 G3 pump, let's hope my temps will be a whole lot less shit with a significantly more powerful pump.

At least I got a pump+res to flush rads now lol

Reactions: Keith Myers

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
How garbage are EK's distroplates? I saw they got one for the Define 7 but before I even remotely consider throwing €280 away for one, is the quality of them any good?

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
See lots of forum posts about EK distro plate failures. Mainly because of the use of a DDC pump.
You already have a decent pump in the D5.
Why do you think you need a distro plate?

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
See lots of forum posts about EK distro plate failures. Mainly because of the use of a DDC pump.
You already have a decent pump in the D5.
Why do you think you need a distro plate?
Just a thought, but if EK's distroplates are trash i'lll go with a Aquacomputer Ultitube with the Leakshield top.