Warm? P420m 1.4TB $135 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Pcie 2.0 x8 and 630MB/s + 95,000 IOPS writes. These cards also run hot with active power at 30W.

I would pass.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Iirc those also require specific drivers as they are not NVME quite yet, but might be wrong, been a while.

Reactions: zack$

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
I've heard endurance on these is great. I think the linux kernel has drivers from my research. I guess I'll find out :) I thought these were "fair" performance cards & at sub $100/TB I thought it was decent. I don't need a whole lot of writes, my vms are mostly read. It is a shame every time I post a deal the negative nancies come out. Hopefully someone can make use of these. I snagged two. If you don't like them you can always return them, although at your own cost. Shouldn't cost much to return 2 pci-e cards.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
Pcie 2.0 x8 and 630MB/s + 95,000 IOPS writes. These cards also run hot with active power at 30W.

I would pass.
My case airflow is already good enough to keep a 300w rtx 3k series cool I'm not worried about 30w.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I've heard endurance on these is great. I think the linux kernel has drivers from my research. I guess I'll find out :) I thought these were "fair" performance cards & at sub $100/TB I thought it was decent. I don't need a whole lot of writes, my vms are mostly read. It is a shame every time I post a deal the negative nancies come out. Hopefully someone can make use of these. I snagged two. If you don't like them you can always return them, although at your own cost. Shouldn't cost much to return 2 pci-e cards.
These drives are most likely exactly what a couple people on here may be looking for/need. Thanks for posting :)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
It is a shame every time I post a deal the negative nancies come out. Hopefully someone can make use of these. I snagged two. If you don't like them you can always return them, although at your own cost. Shouldn't cost much to return 2 pci-e cards.
Lol, sorry if you got that impression, was just mentioning it;)

Garbage for one, great deal for somebody else, always depends on your needs :)

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
might be annoying to run in linux. The fusion IO drives at least have people working on keeping the drivers alive on modern kernels, I wasn't able to find the same for these (though perhaps looked in wrong place)

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
might be annoying to run in linux. The fusion IO drives at least have people working on keeping the drivers alive on modern kernels, I wasn't able to find the same for these (though perhaps looked in wrong place)
I think this runs under the "mtip32xx" mainline kernel driver. When I get it I'll post something up in the storage forum.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016
Not sure if it was STH effect but they had 10+ when I bought & they are gone now....

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
There are drivers for it on windows server 2012R2, so maybe they work on newer 2019/2016/win10?

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Received, downloaded drivers from Micron site for Windows and their Storage Exec GUI. Works fine (HP model) but their Storage GUI says the drive has met it's lifetime TBW. Drive seemed like it might have been new. It was pristine and there was a Micron info card sealed in a packet with alternate half height bracket and the info card had the old driver url address on it like it was original electrostatic packaging. So I wouldn't have been surprised if it was new.

So surprising it says TBW has been met which is true is disappointing. It is performing at specs in Crystal Disk Mark.

Anyone else receive one and test?

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Received, downloaded drivers from Micron site for Windows and their Storage Exec GUI. Works fine (HP model) but their Storage GUI says the drive has met it's lifetime TBW. Drive seemed like it might have been new. It was pristine and there was a Micron info card sealed in a packet with alternate half height bracket and the info card had the old driver url address on it like it was original electrostatic packaging. So I wouldn't have been surprised if it was new.

So surprising it says TBW has been met which is true is disappointing. It is performing at specs in Crystal Disk Mark.

Anyone else receive one and test?
Looking more at Smart Attributes according to what others are saying it looks like it could be new. The percentage of lifetime used attribute is supposed to be attribute 202 and it is 0 so that is good. Power on minutes should be attribute 241 and it started at or near zero and is counting up as expected now. Bad block attributes 170-174 are all zero.

So maybe HP changed something in the firmware and Micron's software isn't reading the TBW correctly. It is rated for 10PBW which would be some serious use of the card with its max 630mb/s write.

So note if you are interested in one of these drives that it only does 630mb/s in writes but I am seeing over 3000mb/s in reads.