Want to upgrade DL380 G9 CPU but CPU carrier clip doesn't fit

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eddyg

May 7, 2019
I got some new 2699v3 CPUs for my DL380 Gen9. The existing CPUs are also V3 (so not a V3 vs. V4 difference), and I thought this would be an "easy upgrade", but when I went to install them, the blue "CPU carrier clip" doesn't fit around the 2699v3 packaging. :eek:

Looking at ark.intel.com, the 2699v3 has a package size of 52.5mm x 51mm which is 6mm bigger than other V3 CPUs which are only 52.5mm x 45mm ... never realized there was package size difference until now. :(

I see clips being sold on eBay, but I have no idea how to find ones that would fit the 2699v3 and wouldn't be too small like the ones I already have.

Any suggestions?

eddyg

May 7, 2019
For what it's worth, I found some pictures of a couple V3 CPUs in the HP CPU carriers and did a quick overlay that toggles between the two to show the difference, in case it helps explain things better...

2660v3-vs-2699v3.gif

Mwilliamson

Aug 15, 2020
Fenton, Michigan, USA
The blue clip is not a necessity in my experience with refurbishing used HPE servers. You can pull it right off and put the new proc in place. The clips, AFAIK, are to prevent careless damage to socket pins.

eddyg

May 7, 2019
Hmm, interesting...

When you disengage the latches on the socket, the CPU is lifted "out" because it is in the tray, which is slotted in to the top socket bracket:

Removing-CPU.png

So it's OK to just "set" the CPU on the "bottom" of the socket and then latch the bracket down, without a CPU tray?

Mwilliamson

Aug 15, 2020
Fenton, Michigan, USA
So it's OK to just "set" the CPU on the "bottom" of the socket and then latch the bracket down, without a CPU tray?
Yes, you can just gently place the new processor on the pins, and then latch it in place. Both the Gen 8 and Gen 9s have the same general latch design (yes, they're designed a little differently but the purpose is the same), where the blue clip is optional.

eddyg

May 7, 2019
Thanks, that's good to know!

The small amount of CPU work I've done on HP ProLiant's have always had the tray, so I didn't realize that.

I'll give it a try.