Want to build something equivelant to synology ds1511+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

washcaps008

Aug 10, 2011
Hi guys, new to this forum.
I want to buy and set up a system that i can use like a NAS/SAN.

price I am willing to pay is 1000 or less.

looking at the hardware of the ds1511 it looks pretty weak so i figure the hard drives will be the most expensive for this build.

I have technet therefore I can use windows storage server 2008 r2 and use iscsi which is what i want to learn and use.

I don't want to end up buying hardware and finding out that windows storage server isn't compatible with it. This is my biggest fear.

I want the motherboard to have 2 NIC cards preferably intel and be capable of LACP, so you can have 2gb/s throughput.

If i have to buy a NIC card and added onto the motherboard that for sure has the ability to do this and is compatible with windows storage server 2008 r2, i will do it.

Hard drives i want is ones that will not drop out when put in RAID. If i have to would buy a RAID card if need be that is compatible with windows storage server 2008 r2.

I already have a WD1002FAEX black drive, which is 1 TB. I want to set up RAID 5 and therefore would only need another 4 drives. Can i use the WD1002FAEX for RAID 5 without having to worry about them dropping out because they are not enterprise drives? or is that a gimmick to get us to pay big bucks for enterprise versions?

This system will only be used to connect my virtual machines to storage via iscsi volumes.

anyone have any suggestions on hardware? thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You are pretty lucky. Just look for a board with dual Intel 82574L's (or an Intel 82576)and your networking needs will be fine. Compatibility at this point with WSS 2008 R2 is almost a given with new-ish hardware because you are using Windows drivers.

What are you doing with this box? You may want to check out FlexRAID instead with WSS 2008 R2. Windows Raid 5 is generally considered subpar.