Want to build a new server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
Hi guys was wondering what I will need to build a server for maybe under $1000 if possible?

What I would like the server to be able to do is Run Windows Server 2022,VM's,My own Email and Web Server,Game servers,Unraid.

My current server that I do have was told it wouldn't be good for running Game Servers and Windows Server 2022 isn't compatible.

My current motherboard is this;
Server Motherboard

I am wondering where to start.

Please help if possible?

Hope this is the right place for this.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
How about listing the game server you "can't" run? Or the current limitations?
And the stuff you have around and want to reuse...
Storage requirements?
Network requirements?
Ill probally buy 10G server adapters,upgrade the disks,etc.
I was just told straight out that my server isnt good for running Game Servers.
The memory it has is DDR3 memory 64gig ram.
Current 2 CPU's I have in old server.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
My current Server case is this;
Server Case
PSU
You could reuse the case and PSU, but it all depends on what other peripherals you will use (you may need a bigger PSU).

Will you be using Windows Server as the virtualization platform? You may try using something less resource hungry like Proxmox first.

What game servers will you be running, what are the system requirements for those?

What do you want to use as mail and web server?

You have to check your requirements and check if what you have fits your use case. If not, then upgrade.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
You could reuse the case and PSU, but it all depends on what other peripherals you will use (you may need a bigger PSU).

Will you be using Windows Server as the virtualization platform? You may try using something less resource hungry like Proxmox first.

What game servers will you be running, what are the system requirements for those?

What do you want to use as mail and web server?

You have to check your requirements and check if what you have fits your use case. If not, then upgrade.
Oh my bad that PSU isn't the right watts the one I have is from EVGA but I have the 1000w,I may just upgrade that anyway to something newer.
I want to use Windows Server 2022 but not as VM
Game Server like: Minecraft,Eco,and others
for Email Server would be hMailserver
for the Web Server not sure yet,what ever would be best on Windows Server 2022 and easy to learn.

Curious will I need a GPU? in my current server I have the GTX 970 in it for the heck of it.

Last edited:

Rttg

May 21, 2020
What others may be suggesting is that your hardware is perfectly capable for the use cases you laid out. LGA2011 isn’t known for the fastest single thread performance (which typically matters most for game servers), but there are some super cheap Ivy Bridge E5 v2 Xeons with pretty high clocks (for that gen) that would likely work just fine.

edit: missed a word

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
What others may be suggesting is that your hardware is perfectly capable for the use cases you laid out. LGA2011 isn’t known for the fastest single thread performance (which typically matters most for game servers), but there are some super cheap Ivy Bridge E5 v2 Xeons with pretty high clocks (for that gen) that would likely work just fine.

edit: missed a word
So will DDR3 still be good for the game servers I would run?
Oh and the reason I asked about makeing a new server is if ya look at the link for my Server Motherboard it says Windows Server 2016 will only be compatible with the board so I am not 100% sure Windows Server 2022 would be compatible,plus I am also not sure if it would accept DDR3 memory I mean Windows Server 2022.
Hope I made sense lol.

Rttg

May 21, 2020
it says Windows Server 2016 will only be compatible with the board so I am not 100% sure Windows Server 2022 would be compatible
If you look at that OS compatibility list, the most recent Ubuntu version listed is 12.10 which is ancient. I’d wager that list is just incomplete.

I’d echo the recommendation earlier for using a hypervisor, whether it’s Unraid (better if you’re focused on storage; you can run Windows VMs there) or Proxmox.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Have you run into issues with your specific workload (MC servers) in actual use? If so, have you gathered metrics while it's under load to narrow the scope, is it CPU, or RAM, or disk I/O? Which MC software are you using (java, feather, go, etc)? MC tends to focus on single-thread, and 2667v2 clocks in a bit slow compared to modern cpus, but it's still a very decent processor.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
Have you run into issues with your specific workload (MC servers) in actual use? If so, have you gathered metrics while it's under load to narrow the scope, is it CPU, or RAM, or disk I/O? Which MC software are you using (java, feather, go, etc)? MC tends to focus on single-thread, and 2667v2 clocks in a bit slow compared to modern cpus, but it's still a very decent processor.
I haven't used Microsoft Server 2022 yet to be honest,would like to if my server is able to run that OS and I could find MS 2022 for less than the $1000 or more Microsoft wants for it.

At the moment I have Unraid on the server as the main OS.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
For clarity, I was referring to the Minecraft game servers that you mentioned as part of your use case. Windows Server 2022 itself doesn't need much apart from a bit of RAM; nor do Exchange or IIS unless you have a particularly high volume of mail or web visits.

If you are not experiencing issues with your current setup, I'd stick with that for the time being and work on gathering and understanding performance metrics, so you'll be better equipped to make a decision on what to upgrade, if/when you need to.

JamesJB

Dec 12, 2019
For clarity, I was referring to the Minecraft game servers that you mentioned as part of your use case. Windows Server 2022 itself doesn't need much apart from a bit of RAM; nor do Exchange or IIS unless you have a particularly high volume of mail or web visits.

If you are not experiencing issues with your current setup, I'd stick with that for the time being and work on gathering and understanding performance metrics, so you'll be better equipped to make a decision on what to upgrade, if/when you need to.
Oh ok I'm sorry.
Will do.
Thank you.