WAN Connection to Dell 7048P for pfSense Migration on Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Good day all,

I'm in the process of converting from ESXI to Proxmox. I have pfSense virtualized and working on Proxmox with 2 bonded networks, one for WAN and one for LAN where the WAN is directly connected from the Proxmox host to the Modem.

The next step is to configure Proxmox HA for the pfSense VM, but I'm having trouble when moving the WAN connection to 3 ports on the switch in its own vlan. The intent is to have the modem directly and one port on each host connect to the switch on a segregated vlan.

Switch configuration (Dell 7048P):
Port 38-40 = vlan 5 (WAN vlan)

vlan configuration on each port:
Port VLAN Mode: Access
PVID: 5
Frame Type: AdmitUntaggedOnly
Ingress Filtering: Enable
Port Priority: 0

Port configuration:
Maximum Frame Size 1518
Auto Negotiate: Enable
Admin Advertisement: All Supported
LAG: Not a LAG Member
Current Flow Control: Inactive

When I move the connection to go through the switch, I can't establish connectivity. Watching the switches blinking lights, I see the modem going nuts as expected. The connection to the Proxmox host looks like it is attempting to establish a connection, but then times out. It blinks a couple times (auto negotiation), then goes dark for a several seconds. For troubleshooting, I plugged the WAN port on the Host into the LAN side of the switch. It did the same couple of blinks, then starts going nuts after getting an IP from the LAN DHCP server.

I get the impression that the switch is blocking something, but I'm not sure what to look for at this point. Is it possible my ISP is doing something weird? Thoughts?

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
After some more tinkering, I noticed that after some time, the link lights on the switch for the WAN port go out. Looks like the problem may exist between the switch and the modem. I would have expected the link light to remain illuminated despite not talking to pfSense.

33_viper_33

Aug 3, 2013
Ok, I can confirm that my problem has something to do with a setting in the switch. For grins, I dug out an old netgear 10/100 5-port switch from my bin. My wan does work going through this switch from the modem to the proxmox vSwitch and finally to the pfSense VM.

I wonder if it has something to do with the Dell 7048p being a layer 3 switch. I am at a loss of what to look for at this point.

Any ideas?