1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSAN Wont see allow SSDs

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by alex1002, Feb 16, 2017.

1. alex1002

alex1002 Member

Good Day,
    I am testing VSAN on a 4 Node SUperMicro all are certified. Purchased the correct controllers also. The controllers I tested with are SAS9207-8i. All drives are seen by the controller and also seen on the actual host. But when I try to setup VSAN it only see 4/6 on one host and 3/6 on the other. The SSDs are all identical. Can anyone advice?

Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Active Member

Have you tried cleaning any residual partitions off the drives? If there are partitions on there often times VSAN won't let you add them.

My VSAN journey - Part 2 - How-to delete partitions to prepare disks for VSAN if the disks aren't clean - ESX Virtualization

alex1002 likes this.
  3. alex1002

alex1002 Member

Capture2.JPG View attachment 4622 The disks are brandnew. Sorry I quickly pulled the drives today and tried them on a 4 Node SuperMicro Server. Same issues. This server was purchased preconfigured to support VSAN. only thing I didnt get from them is the SSDs.
    Here we node by node. that all 6 drives are present.

4. IamSpartacus

I would identify the disks that aren't showing up as available in the vSAN disk management screen and then try moving the disks around between nodes to see if they show up as available in any. Might be an issue with certain disks even though they are brand new and show up in devices.

Also, I'm assuming you have vSAN licensing assigned in vCenter correct?

alex1002 likes this.
  5. alex1002

alex1002 Member

Right Now I am still testing to I am using trial VSAN Licence from VMWARE. Would this affect anything?

6. IamSpartacus

Trial VSAN license? I've never used one nor was I aware they hand out trial VSAN keys so I'm not sure if there are any limitations. I just know that if you don't apply a VSAN license to your cluster you add/create disk groups.

7. vBuild2BAU

vBuild2BAU Member

So you can see all 6 drives under devices. But you can't claim all 6 when you go to add them to vSAN is that correct?

Can you please follow the link IamSpartacus provided and see if there are partitions on the SSDs.

My VSAN journey - Part 2 - How-to delete partitions to prepare disks for VSAN if the disks aren't clean - ESX Virtualization

8. whitey

whitey Moderator

partedUtil is your friend else apply a license (I as well forget if ANY vSAN functionality is included w/ vSphere in trial mode)

Let me know if you need more info or have this resolved.

EDIT: Yep you need a license. From VMware KB.

Licensing for vSAN
    When you enable vSAN on a cluster, assign the cluster an appropriate vSAN license before the 60-day evaluation period expires.

Pretty sure you can still request a trial lic for vSAN though.

Now selling my vSAN license since I de-commed that for my CEPH cluster...TOTALLY j/k :-D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  9. i386

i386 Active Member

It's possible to enable vsan through the cli without a vsan license, but this would violate the EULA.

10. IamSpartacus

You can enable vSAN in the web client without a license without issue. The issue is when you want to claim disks/create disk groups. That's when you need a license. And without disk groups, vSAN is a useless feature.

11. alex1002

alex1002 Member

I finally managed to get VSAN to all the disks. Now I got an issues. ONe of the Nodes in the cluster keeps on going to network partition 2 and drops back to 1 every 2-3 minutes..

Capture.JPG

12. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

So what did you do to fix the visibility issue?

And re partitioning - I assume you have double checked your vmk's, mtu's and your multicast addresses, can vmkping all around, are on the latest patch etc?

alex1002 likes this.
  13. alex1002

alex1002 Member

I used Windows boot DVD and used diskpart to clean each SSD and it seems to see them. This makes me wonder why because these ssds were sealed brand-new.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Didn't you try to run partedUtil in esx before (as indicated in the link @IamSpartacus provided)? Or did that not work?

alex1002 likes this.
  15. alex1002

alex1002 Member

For some reason this didn't work. I am not sure why not because it's suppose to do the samething as diskpart.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

16. IamSpartacus

When you ran PartedUtil did any partitions show up?