VSAN for My Lab

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
So I'm in the process of continuing my lab build-out. I have four systems in my lab right now. I have a dedicated FreeNAS box along with three ESXi boxes. Details here:

The Lab - Hyperion EPM

I'm going to upgrade my original ESXi box to match the same version as the others. I'm also working with the finance committee (my wife) to get approval on the purchase of new controllers, new archive drives, and new SSD's for the All Flash Array. Here's what I'm thinking:

3x 3008-based Controllers
15x Intel S3710 400GB Drives (1 for cache, 4 for capacity per node)

Looking at something like $2000ish for all of that.

All four servers are connected to an Dell X1052 via Intel X520-DA2's. They are also all directly connected to FreeNAS via the second port on the DA2's. So...will this perform well? I plan to use this to benchmark a set of OLAP applications to see how they do in a hyper-converged environment.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
That's pretty awesome. I was just wondering how I might simulate other load on the VSAN so that it wasn't just a wasted experiment on a system with no other load. Thanks!