vSan does not see disks in Gui

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So trying to build a test cluster and cobbled together a few servers.

2 are fine, the third is acting up - disks are not visible in vSan disk selection.
upload_2018-10-14_19-23-2.png

They are visible on cli though
upload_2018-10-14_19-23-47.png
and o/c on the HBA
upload_2018-10-14_19-24-45.png

I thought it might be due the expander backplane i had in use so i swapped that to a -A, but no deal.

I swapped drives with another box, it worked fine there and the swapped in one does not show up either ...
I am kind a lost :eek:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
There are no partitions on them any more, they had partition issues so i recreated with
partedUtil mklabel ... gpt

Also, same disk is seen fine in another box.

Will try to switch out the HBA next

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
No change with new HBA. Also tried creating datastores and wiping again, also no luck :(

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I found it - the host in question had a vastly different time set up (one year difference).
One i activated ntp the disks showed up. Seems i don't have ntp high enough (or at all) on my 'post-install activities):)

One for the pre-check if vmware would listen to non business customers.
Or maybe it's in the manual, have not checked;)

billc.cn

Oct 6, 2017
I found it - the host in question had a vastly different time set up (one year difference).
One i activated ntp the disks showed up. Seems i don't have ntp high enough (or at all) on my 'post-install activities):)

One for the pre-check if vmware would listen to non business customers.
Or maybe it's in the manual, have not checked;)
Hmmm, host profiles (if you have the license) is your friend. I teardown/setup ESXi on weekly bases for tests and cannot imagine setting everything up manually.