VSAN 3Node - Real numbers?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Writes go to cache device, reads come from capacity on All Flash solutions IIRC.

Whats your use case? Single user (performance limited as per above comments) or many users (then need to test accordingly with appropriate tools)

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
Initial use case is to toss a few storage servers on it for cifs hosting. It makes sense that write performance would be slightly lowered to maintain speeds for many users but we did expect more with how many hosts/DGs we have (and with optane soaking up all the writers).
Should we stripe or across 7 disks? Curious if that would get the data off the cache faster.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
thats why I said you need to test appropriately

If you run a single cdm run then you run on a single disk object that is usually present on 2 of the hosts only, one active write and one copy.

You can try to set up a policy which stripes all writes to more drives
upload_2020-4-14_13-22-59.png

But keep in mind that you apply FTT rules as well so you need to see whats an acceptable /working ratio is for you.
I did not have much success with striped writes, but that might be my use case again.

Reactions: Dark

Dark

Mar 9, 2019
I appreciate the info. Going to increase the disk stripes and test again. It makes sense that the write performance is limited by a single instance.