VRTX compatible HDD/SSD

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Hi,

I just recently acquired a Dell VRTX with a combination of 2xM620 & 2xM630.

I am having trouble getting any SSD that i put into the chassis to work.

They all come up as "Blocked".

VRTX and controller is fully updated.

I have tried a

Intel DC S4600 - Non dell version

Intel X-25 (old I know) - non dell version

Samsung PM851 - dell oem drive - with latest firmware

Only disk I got working was a SAS HGST normal harddrive.

Is there a list of compatible drives somewhere for the VTRX and the blades inside the VRTX?

Looking at the "parts and upgrades" for VRTX all I see are SAS Drives - are SATA drives not supported in the VRTX?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
@marcoi Do you have a link where that is stated?

I know for a fact that the blades can work with SATA, since its possible to buy a SATA backpane that connects to the motherboard.

So I would be surprised that the chassis would not support SATA.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Dell Shared PowerEdge RAID Controller (PERC) 8 For Dell PowerEdge VRTX Systems User’s Guide

Found it - its the shared perc that is the issue - I guess its by policy, because of multi pathing.

So you are right, SATA disks are not supported - that sucks.
Glad you found it, i knew when i was looking into VRTX system it was a limitation i couldn't avoid so i decided to pass on the system. I may still get one some day if the price is right because i love the technology behind it.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Yeah - I was not aware (did not investigate enough) - which means I have to buy the expensive disks now :) - but I will not be using the shared drives much anyway, since I have a SAN i want to be using anyway, but its a sad limitation that it does not support SATA.