VRM Cooling for a Rackmount Motherboard Transplant

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jolness

May 25, 2020
I have an X10DRL-i that I purchased recently on ebay. Love the board, love that it is ATX but it is out of a 1U rackmount server ( 6018R-MT) so it is missing the heatsink on the VRM as shown in this photo circled in red, it does have the one circle in blue.
X10DRL-i.jpg
Because I am using a consumer ATX case, the airflow isn't what was expected when they made the decision to not include it. I have multiple 140mm Noctua two fans up front (blowing over my 5 HGST drives), one on the bottom, one on the side as intakes, and two exhausts up back at the top. So lots of airflow, just not highly directional flow like the old chassis.

My question is, should I worry about it? I'd rather spend a bit of money on heatsinks for peace of mind but I know I can tend to go overboard. Even in sustained 100% workloads VRM temps are quite good, less than my consumer motherboard running a ryzen 7 chip.
If yes, should I get some copper heatsinks (6.5mm^2 I think is the size I need but as always, happy to take feedback on that) and use those or should I try to see if supermicro has a part number for this and track one down?

Thanks in advance!

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Are you in US or EU? I have two broken Asus Z10PA-D8 which have the same layout and the same heatsinks. if you are in the EU I could send you a heatsink if you take the shipping.

jolness

May 25, 2020
Are you in US or EU? I have two broken Asus Z10PA-D8 which have the same layout and the same heatsinks. if you are in the EU I could send you a heatsink if you take the shipping.
I am in America, I really appreciate the offer, I wish I could take advantage of it. It's not the worst thing to have to take the DIY approach but would be nice to just have something that is as simple as putting a couple plastic clips in

sash

Nov 22, 2019
I have the same x10drl board and one heatsink is also missing. I'm trying to find a part number for it so I can search for it. Any ideas?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
the X11DPi-N(T) also misses this Heatsink.
and this is one of the reasons the first rev. of the boards are dieing early on high CPU loads even in server cases.
so i highly recommend to install a heatsink here and put airflow on it if you have high CPU loads.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have the same x10drl board and one heatsink is also missing. I'm trying to find a part number for it so I can search for it. Any ideas?
i have searched but never found anything.
but a heatsink form a broken X11SRM motherboard fits on a X11DPi
the distance of the two holes with the plastic pins is about 62,5 millimeters.

111alan

Mar 11, 2019
Haerbing Institution of Technology
A lot of SMC boards do not have that heatsink. Possibly because they think that this part of the motherboard is very close to the fans inside the rack.

If that fan doesn't exist in your case, better get a heatsink somewhere else for it.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Possibly because they think that this part of the motherboard is very close to the fans inside the rack.
the heatsink will block a lot of air required for the second CPU. the VRMs can sink a lot of heat to the PCB because they are soldered withits back.