VPS Project + Dell C6100 XS23-TY3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yaaz

May 6, 2013
Hey all,

I know there are some really good C6100 threads and I've read them all.
Just wanted to create a new thread so I can stay on point.

I'm planning on building a "micro"cloud setup using Openstack and I recently came across the C6100. Needless to say, I've fallen in love.

Is it feasable to use the 4 nodes to do the following:

1 x Networking/Control Node
1 x Storage Node
2 x Compute Nodes.

From what I understand the risk with these units is their redundancy. They're meant to be used in racks by the 100s. Not really by themselves.

That being said, the risk vs reward is hard to ignore.
I can buy 3 of these, and have 2 in the rack with a cold spare without even coming close to the price point of 3 separate dedicated platforms.

My goal is to get this setup up and running and start VPS hosting for my programming/web designer friends. Test its stablility and perhaps go full production eventually.

What are the pitfalls I should looking for?

Also:
Checking out EBAY I've noticed 3 big players for these units.

1: MrRackables. Dell PowerEdge Server C6100 XS23 TY3 4 Node 8x L5520 96GB RAM 12 Drive Caddy | eBay

Alittle pricier but it has all 12 drive caddies.

2:pDNeiman. Dell PowerEdge C6100 XS23 TY3 Server 8x L5520 Quad Core CPU's 96GB Mem 4X Trays | eBay

and
3: Mobile_compute_Pros. Dell PowerEdge C6100 XS23 TY3 2U 4 x Hot Plug Nodes 8 x 2 26GHz QC L5520 96GB | eBay

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Exactly. I think STH's colo project was similar.

Someone had an issue updating BIOS from a mrrackables machine.

Yaaz

May 6, 2013
I remember reading that. I wonder if thats their entire batch. I don't mind buying the caddies seperately. Anyone know where to get the caddies cheap?

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I have bought from both Mobile_Computer_Pros and from PDNeimen. Both are located in Texas and both gave pretty good services. I would be happy to buy from either again.

If you ask nicely, Peter may be persuaded to flash the units before shipping but there may be a leadtime involved. We have 10 units waiting to be shipped a couple of weeks after payment.

Have to fully agree with Jeggs. Take a look at the main sites colo article as it is very close to what you want.

RB