Voltaire 4036 Reset

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

carlosmp

Mar 12, 2013
Anyone here have any insight on how to factory default a voltaire 4036? We picked up a unit off of ebay, and have serial access to it, but can't seem to get beyond the user/password. We've held the reset button down seen the unit reboot, but still unable to get into the unit. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

carlosmp

Mar 12, 2013
Never fails...minutes after posting found a solutions. Found out that I had already factory defaulted it, except the default password was 123456 not voltaire as I had found in some IBM manuals. Now to configure this puppy.

Now to start updating the switch with the latest firmwares

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
There is a reset button on the 4036 ?.

I have one for the Hadoop build I am doing but didn't see a reset button or see mention of it in the manual so I would be extremely grateful if you could direct me to it (or the manual reference to it as I may have missed it) as I cannot get serial access at the moment and would love to get the SM running on it.

Thanks
RB

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
I used standard Cisco serial cable with RJ45 to DB9F adapter. the only option is run factory-default from console cable.

Reactions: Derwood

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
That is what I thought. I have tried a USB to RS232 cable that is recognised in Linux but am not getting any response via Minicom on Linux using the settings in the manual.

I may be able to get hold of a Cisco cable to try.

Thanks
RB

Reactions: Derwood

zane

Aug 22, 2013
That is what I thought. I have tried a USB to RS232 cable that is recognised in Linux but am not getting any response via Minicom on Linux using the settings in the manual.

I may be able to get hold of a Cisco cable to try.

Thanks
RB

Did you ever find a soultion? I'm having the same issue the serial port does not work and the eth port will not pull an IP from the dhcp server. This is my second one with this issue. I have even purchased new serial cable and tried from multiple devices windows Linux and Android. :mad:

Derwood

May 22, 2019
Did you ever find a soultion? I'm having the same issue the serial port does not work and the eth port will not pull an IP from the dhcp server. This is my second one with this issue. I have even purchased new serial cable and tried from multiple devices windows Linux and Android. :mad:
IIRC I purchased a standard CISCO cable which was DB9F to RJ45, the rj45 was in the GridDirector 4036 and the DB9F inserted in the PC or vice versa, minicom, putty and such from then on in but after a while I set the ethernet as the management port of which you can set the IB to do that too.

About the best I can give you presently. Sorry

£3, eBay item number: 143647857561