VOIP Switch Recommendation

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gdi2k

Apr 14, 2016
I'm looking for switch recommendations with the following traits:

- 16 or 24 ports of 1G ethernet ports with regular 802.3af POE for powering Polycom phones.
- 10G SFP+ uplink port (one or two ports is enough)
- Quiet, as they will be placed inside an office space. They don't have to be silent, but no screaming data center switches.
- Preferably available used on ebay in bulk at relatively low prices (hoping sub-$500).

We have a pile of Dell 5500 series POE switches but they're just too loud sadly - otherwise they fit the bill perfectly.

Any good suggestions?

gdi2k

Apr 14, 2016
Finally progressing with this project. I bought a Brocade 6450 24 port POE for testing. It's definitely quieter than our Dell 5500 series, but it is louder than I had hoped for in an office environment (especially as we'll need to be using two of them in close proximity with one another). Any other suggestions, or is this just the nature of the beast for switches with 10G uplink ports?

As these are only going to be used for VOIP phones I'm tempted just to run some additional CAT 6 and do away with the 10G port requirement - that should open up more options.