VMware UNMAP directly from Guest OS with Freenas Backend

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I came across this article as I was trying to validate if VAAI really works on Freenas with ISCSI. I got really exited and for the last 2 days I've been playing around trying to figure out how to get it to work on my setup.
Unfortunately I cannot get windows 2012R2 or 2016 to detect that it is on a thin provisioned disk no matter what I did.

Has anyone try this and get it to work ?? I wonder if it requires a specific storage backends to make it work.
I was able to find a different blog that shows it's working with pure storage backend, but no matter what I did I cant get it to work on freenas storage backend.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Ok, I was wrong - I don't really follow FreeNAS updates.

And when you look at the datastore in whatever vSphere client you are using, it is saying that hardware acceleration is supported?

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Hmm, looks like it should be able to be made to work. I'd put 1/2 an hour into reproducing the setup and figuring it out, except that I've (hopefully temporarily) lost access to almost all of my gear, including both my ESXi boxes and the box I had been playing with the FreeNAS beta on.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
VAAI on FreeNAS has been there since the 9.3 betas. I've used it in the past without having any issues.

Take a look at virten's post http://www.virten.net/2015/01/working-with-freenas-9-3-block-vaai-primitives/, it should help pin down what's showing up and what isn't.
@cheezehead yes I did found that article and followed it... From what I can tell VAAI is working like it should on my system.
However what I am most interested in is enabling UNMAP feature directly from guest VM. If you read the article I linked on my original post, windows os supposedly able to detect that it is running on thin provisioned disk. My current setup is sparse zvol with thin provisioned vmdk on the vm, but for some reason I cannot get windows to detect thin provisioned disk and just showed as ssd.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
@cheezehead yes I did found that article and followed it... From what I can tell VAAI is working like it should on my system.
However what I am most interested in is enabling UNMAP feature directly from guest VM. If you read the article I linked on my original post, windows os supposedly able to detect that it is running on thin provisioned disk. My current setup is sparse zvol with thin provisioned vmdk on the vm, but for some reason I cannot get windows to detect thin provisioned disk and just showed as ssd.
If your running anything older than Server 2016, it won't know what to do with it natively...you'd need a 3rd party utility for the reclamation within the OS. If your running Windows ontop of VMware....you'll need to enable reclamation (6.5) or manually kick off the reclaim operation (5.0-6.0).

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
'Thin on thin...never a win' is my old saying! Or I should say a nice 'recipe for disaster' heh

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
'Thin on thin...never a win' is my old saying! Or I should say a nice 'recipe for disaster' heh
Running thin on thin for years in prod at work (for most workloads) without any issues. Yes you need to be mindful of over provisioning but even some storage vendors recommend the practice. The thin vmdk performance overhead isn't what is use to be years ago and some storage vendors recommend thinly provisioning the backend storage.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I thought UNMAP for *nix was a VMFS6 feature. Specifically related to the Linux Guest OS SPC-4 support added in 6.5