VMWare server alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
I'm renovating an old (non-commercial/charity) website with the intention of virtualizing it in a Linux VM so that it can be run off a Windows workstation that is running 24/7. The primary reason to move it from the currently (Yahoo) hosted service is that I want greater flexibility to roll out new features down the road and hopefully reduce costs.

I've used VMWare Server and Player in the past, but was wondering what the best free application is that will allow me to run the Linux VM with the Windows OS host in the same way that I once could with VMWare server.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
VMware Player? Isn't moving it from a hosted service with lots of redundancy and infrastructure behind the scenes to run as a vm on a workstation a step or two in the wrong direction?

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Reliability and uptime is something that I plan to evaluate during the dev stage, but I don't foresee downtime being a huge issue. The primary reason being that the current website has very, very low traffic - something in the vicinity of 20 visits a week maximum, if that*, from people within a known community.

The workstation hosting is the first, interim, step of a longer term IT roadmap that I'm developing, which will require an on-site server. I could implement a fall-back host on an alternate service easily enough for the interim period. Should it become needed to move back to hosting, then at least I'll have the contained VM image to work from.

*Of course the goal is for that to increase as the new site will provide more reasons for people to actually use it...

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
heh, I sent him links to Dreamhost free hosting for nonprofits. You get a free domain name.

I love all the helpful answers on here ;)