VMware sees NICs but show disconnected

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

digitaldizza

Oct 10, 2020
I recently installed VMware 6.7U3 on an old Datto appliance (Gigabyte motherboard- MB10-DATTO-07). Installed just fine, at the console though I noticed that the NICs were not getting IPs. Thought it was odd, checked the VLAN they were plugged into on the switch, good there. Tried different ports on switch. Same result. Went into Management Network settings and noticed that both NICs show as disconnected. If I boot the machine up via a USB drive with Linux on it, both NICs work just fine and obtain IPs on the network. Any suggestions?

Derwood

May 22, 2019
Only two notions I can recall at present would be either DHCP settings within the TCP/IP stacks (Networking panel > TCP/IP stacks) or supported drivers?

Solutions, modify TCP/IP stack, wait for change OR Google "VMware compatibility" and see if VMware supports the mobos NIC device from within their pat checker web panel.

Sorry I cannot help much further.

Derwood

May 22, 2019
I have to be honest too, I'm really not surprised most if not all live linux tests do work with whatever NIC they are dealt with and if anything the more dated the better. ESXi even though has a larger base then hyper-v, esxi itself as the versions go along drop older drivers in favour of newer stuff.

Free/TrueNAS can be even worse? Maybe not worse, but how about selective..

They like to maintain a large pool of compatible devices but most are newer, I'm having a little few niggles with hardware that while a little dated works fine within some enterprise servers but not others even when using the same level of firmware, processors and such but just a brand change from node to node.

That's going to cost me dearly too and I reckon to the tone of another £500, hehe so.. yeah, it can be worse if you are wondering lol

Sorry to waffle.