Vmware image

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jan 4, 2014
Hi ,

May sound like a late to the game question, but as we have a lot of resources of our corporate vsphere cluster doing nothing, we'd like to start recouping some of our hosting costs.
As it seems monero is about the only one that will actually generate something using cpu only, that would be our crypto currency of choice.

Now as far as i can see there's a few challenges here

1 a vm can only occupie 1 host ( at least in our situation)
So once that vm starts crunching numbers there should be a way to spin up vm number 2 , add that to the excisting crunching and continue on to the next host

2 i really have no clue where to start

3 i'd like to start a test period of about a month on our seconary (testing ) cluster of 2 older hp dl360's to see if we can recoup anything, tweak things to optium before taking down the whole production cluster

4 of course, when production time comes around, the crypto machines should never interfere with production stuff.
That means tearing down cleaning up the hosts again

So really... Help me pls ;)

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected :)

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Alot of what you are talking about auto spinup / down you'll need DRS. (esxi)

You'll also need to set resources specifically on those machines to keep them from interfering.

So let's start with:

1. What are you licensed for? Enterprise, Plus? essentials?
2. HT on or off?
3. What kind of CPU's
4. What's your power cost?

Jan 4, 2014
Alot of what you are talking about auto spinup / down you'll need DRS. (esxi)

You'll also need to set resources specifically on those machines to keep them from interfering.

So let's start with:

1. What are you licensed for? Enterprise, Plus? essentials?
2. HT on or off?
3. What kind of CPU's
4. What's your power cost?
Enterprise
Ht is on
Running 17 cabinets filled with dell r420's,dual socket E5-2400v2, during off hours 15 kabinets are "put to sleep".
We'd like to utilize this time to maybe get a bit of rent back

Powercost isnt relevant, dc charges us per cabinet on a fixed maximum power consumption rate per cabinet

I do get the drs part, which isnt the issue, will run ubuntu machines, just not very sure if i need a proxy, or how to setup the miner to run as a service.

What i am wondering about is what pool we should join, what are the things to be carefull with, the catch22's if you will

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Enterprise
Ht is on
Running 17 cabinets filled with dell r420's,dual socket E5-2400v2, during off hours 15 kabinets are "put to sleep".
We'd like to utilize this time to maybe get a bit of rent back

Powercost isnt relevant, dc charges us per cabinet on a fixed maximum power consumption rate per cabinet

I do get the drs part, which isnt the issue, will run ubuntu machines, just not very sure if i need a proxy, or how to setup the miner to run as a service.

What i am wondering about is what pool we should join, what are the things to be carefull with, the catch22's if you will

Aha. I'm much in the same boat, just make sure that the power isn't going to pop any breakers.

OK so you're going to need to mine CPU friendly, like Monero or Aeon. I happen to mine Monero, and I use the supportxmr.com pool.

you'll want to use XMRIG or Releases · xmrig/xmrig · GitHub. You'll need to compile on Linux.

check exactly which CPU's, and you'll want to run L3 cache / 2 threads.

Also make sure you reduce the donation level on xmrig from default 5% to 1%, which is a bit more standard.