VMware ESXi 5.1 Upgrade - SUCCESS!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sboesch

Aug 3, 2012
Columbus, OH
One of my colos is a Vsphere cluster that has 30+ guest machines and 5 ESXi hosts. Each host are Dell R710s and R720s that have 144 GB of RAM each, 3 of the hosts are 6 core Xeons, and 2 are quad core Xeons.
I upgraded the vSphere Server and my 5 ESXi hosts from 4.1 to 5.1 yesterday afternoon. It was roughly 4.5 hours of work, and very straight forward.
I was told yesterday at around 2pm yesterday that we were to expect heavy loads today because a bunch of reports and courses are to go live (the BSA did not notify me of this - typical!) and that meant that I had to haul ass yesterday to get the upgrade completed, and the backups working with the new hosts, I am using vRanger Pro 5x to backup my VMS.
Today went well. I have 4 SQL 2k8r2 servers and 4 IIS 7 servers running on 2k8r2 that host 8 websites that are load balanced via MS Network Load Balancing. We have numerous web 2.0 apps for our clients that are pretty heavy, ASP and C#. Not a single blip. HA did a great job. This is my 4th cluster that I have upgraded during production hours while we have had load, first time I did it a couple years ago made me nervous as a long haired cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Last edited: