VMware 6.7 Issue with intel x540-t2 SR-IOV

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

l0l0l0

Apr 30, 2018
Hello,

I try to activate the sr-iov for my x540-t2 card but the esxi asks me for a constant reboot to activate it !

I found on the internet that we could disable ACS check (VMkernel.Boot.disableACSCheck = true) but it has no effect for me!

In the bios, vt-d is activated and the vib of the latest intel drivers is installed.

in the log I constantly "0000: 01: 00.1: Bypassing non-ACS capable device in hierarchy"

I was wondering if the problem came from the fact that the network card is connected to the only pcie port that is directly linked to the cpu?! (ESXi 6.5 PCI passthrough issue • r/vmware)

thank you for your help and have a nice day

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
What board are you using?
Can you swap the card maybe to rule out that issue? :)

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I tried remotely upgrading my home server that has a x540 which is passed through to omnios and directly connected to my workstation. Upgrade went flawlessly and had no issues. I'm only using pass through and not SR-IOV though.

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I am having an issue similar to this --

FreeNAS VM working fine with Cougar Point SATA controller passthrough since ESXi 5.5 - so, several years now. Just upgraded to 6.7 - can't pass through the controller anymore, have rebooted 5 times after toggling passthrough on it, every time I reboot it's disabled again - very frustrating.

I found this flag - vmkernel.boot.disableACScheck - it's set to false (presumably meaning, ACS check will happen on boot). I set it to 'true' to disable the check. I rebooted the machine. It's set to false again after reboot.

WTF? Can't I even change the settings in the manager anymore? Does anyone know what's going on here?

AveryFreeman

consummate homelabber
Mar 17, 2017
Near Seattle
averyfreeman.com
I am noticing something new, pcipassthrough does not load during the boot process --- but I still cannot change vmkernel.boot.disableACScheck to true because none of my settings are persistent through reboot.

This is the error I see in the console during boot:

method invocation failed: pcipassthrough->start() failed: error while executing the cli

In boot.cfg, I tried setting:

kernelopt=autoPartition=TRUE skipPartitioningSsds=TRUE autoPartitionCreateUSBCoreDumpPartition=TRUE

Settings still not persistent. I'm feeling like I'm hijacking this thread, even though the issues are likely related. Going to start a new thread.

optimans

Feb 20, 2015
I had the same issue with X540 T2 displaying 'Enabled / Reboot Required' after every reboot on 6.7U1 when using the native ixgben driver (1.6.5-1OEM.600.0.0.2768847).

I disabled the native driver:
> esxcli system module set --enabled=false --module=ixgben

Installed the Intel(R) 10 Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver [net-ixgbe] (4.5.2-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585), rebooted and now is working as per normal.

Hope this helps

upload_2019-2-28_21-41-30.png