VM not assigned an IP address

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hellman_x

Oct 16, 2019
I'm running a VM That has Ubuntu on it for hosting a Minecraft server, and I have it set for a static IP address (In the Ubuntu OS) of 10.0.0.6/24 (Same address as the server that's running the VM)

But when I look at the Networking tab down below for the VM I notice that the IP Address section for it is blank.
Switch.PNG

Oddly enough the VM will get network and internet access, but only for very brief moments. Off and on network connection...
I have no clue what's going on.

vudu

Dec 30, 2017
Not sure if I'm reading it right but using the same IP for both server and VM would cause an IP conflict. Try changing at least one of the addresses to something different eg. 10.0.0.7/24

Hellman_x

Oct 16, 2019
Not sure if I'm reading it right but using the same IP for both server and VM would cause an IP conflict. Try changing at least one of the addresses to something different eg. 10.0.0.7/24
That's what I was thinking, but will it come out of the physical interface as 10.0.0.6?

I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

vudu

Dec 30, 2017
The IP address for the vm is a virtual or bridged address for the same physical interface. So therefore needs to be unique as is always the case with TCP/IP networking. The symptom of "working intermittently" is typical of conflicting IP's

Glad you sorted it.