VLANs in Workstation 12

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
My only experience with VMware is ESXi but I don't see (if it's possible) how to set a guest VM's network adapter to a specific VLAN. Is this possible in Workstation?

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Then you can just turn hyper-v on as a feature if you want to use that.
Hmmm I was not aware that Hyper-V was an included feature in Win 10. It's been months since I've messed with Hyper-V...perhaps it's time I reacquainted myself. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: coolrunnings82

Confuzed

Apr 11, 2017
My only experience with VMware is ESXi but I don't see (if it's possible) how to set a guest VM's network adapter to a specific VLAN. Is this possible in Workstation?
Hate to reply to an old thread, but I spent hours looking for a solution for VMWare Workstation 12 on a Windows 10 host.

First of all, switching to the vmxnet3 paravirtualized NIC gave the option for VLAN tagging in the driver's advanced settings. Just change ethernet0.virtualDev to "vmxnet3" in your VM's .vmx file.

Once that was done, I discovered that you must also disable "Priority & VLAN" on the HOSTS LAN adapter that you are bridging... otherwise it drops all of the packets that contain tags.

Once I did that... I was able to assign my VM's to a VLAN and have it all work. Of course the host will not be able to be in a tagged VLAN since you disabled that option.