Virtualized NAS question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
My current NAS (DS209) needs replacement and I have been toying with virtualizing my home servers.
It's not a short term project, so I am trying to figure things out before I start buying and building, etc.

One of the things would be to build my own NAS. But not a pure hardware one.
What I am thinking off is building a ESXi host (booted from USB key and using a 2.5" storage disk) in a server with several disks.
Then, create a VM to be the NAS and pass through the physical disks to create the RAID for the NAS.

But is this a wise idea or not? Performance wise I understand it's based on the hardware, but it's home use. So if I get anywhere near Gbit speed it's alright for me for when I move my Blu-ray remux files (all from my personal Blu-rays). Which will be the biggest of files I would transfer across my LAN.

The main thing is whether it is wise at all to virtualize a NAS.
If not, I will by a newer model Synology and leave it at that. Which in a way I still find more wiser since a hobby build machine tends to die on me because I screw around with it.
Can't help myself there... Unless it's a appliance type installation. Then it's safe enough from me.

Anyway, I just hope anyone can share their thoughts on this matter.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Tried to read it but need to take more time for it.
Looks like it's written by a Open Source developer. Those people lack the ability to write proper documentation ;-)

But good to know it can be done.
Was thinking about this Supermicro machine: Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 5018A-MHN4
If it doesn't make too much noise that is.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Do'h! Only looked on the forum for this. Not the site.
Will look at that too. Thanks!