Virtual Machine Memory Warning

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

discoveranother

Aug 16, 2018
Hi all,

Have two virtual machines on a hyperv server core. Using 5Nine Manager for HyperV shows one of the VMs has a memory warning, is it simply a case of needing to increase the memory allocated to the VM ?

The total memory the hyperv core has installed is 16GB, one of the VMs is using most of this memory, I want to assign extra memory to the other VM.

The VM using most of the memory is a VM running an application database, the other VM is the DC.

Both use dynamic memory.

Thanks all

Attachments

LaMerk

Jun 13, 2017
It looks like you have used all RAM installed on the host. Check RAM usage inside VMs and decrease memory allocation for VM to keep some RAM for the Hyper-V Core OS .
Also, check event logs for the messages from Hyper-V to address warning message in 5nine.

discoveranother

Aug 16, 2018
It looks like you have used all RAM installed on the host. Check RAM usage inside VMs and decrease memory allocation for VM to keep some RAM for the Hyper-V Core OS .
Also, check event logs for the messages from Hyper-V to address warning message in 5nine.

Thank you. Would it be best to change to static memory or remain with dynamic ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Nizmo

Jan 24, 2018
Thanks. I've read many articles on static vs dynamic, they seem to favour dynamic !!! But i'd be happy to try static and allocate a fixed amount to each VM and try it out.
With larger amounts of ram Dynamic is best. You could assign a min. 4GB and a Max of 6GB to each VM.

weust

Aug 15, 2014
Default with Dynamic RAM is to use something like 1TB in kilobytes or bytes?
What Nizmo mentions is best, set a minimum (keep in mind that 1024MB is kinda minimum for iirc 2012 R2+) and a max.
The Guest OS may then run out of RAM, but not your Host.