Videocard choice for workstation.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Hi all.

I realized that my current card it too slow after I upgraded to 4k display. Need something more powerful, don't mind playing games as well. I'm using VM with Videocard passed-through and I always heard that Radeon's are better choice for that. Also some of them work with Mac OS X, which is a good thing too. I can consider Nvidia cards, but seems that Radeon suits my needs a bit better.
I will be using one 4k display, and may be two QHD displays. I work with pictures sometimes (Lightrom, C1, Photoshop), some 3D Apps. Don't mind playing games too (it's been a long time.. =) Mac OS X compatability is a huge plus.

I was looking at WX range (aka radeon pro): WX3100-5100 cards. Does anyone use em? I get it, it's suited towards workstation and graphics, but it seems pretty attractive: tons of DP ports, single slot, no extra power. On the other hand it's basically RX560 but with pro drivers and more expensive one. There's also Vega, which is too expensive. Neither offers any Virtualization technologies (MX GPU, SR-IOV), otherwise it would be great selling point to me.
And there's always Nvidia. 1060ti or may be 1070.

It also seems that higher end of videocards is crazy overpriced, and not worth it. I'm looking for something in reasonable pricerange, around $300, but can stretch for a good card.