Video streaming server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kacman64

Apr 9, 2020
hey guys

I am new to forums can someone help me setup a server for streaming video to my clients i have 10tb of videos in 720p and 480p i want a server that can handle 10k users and maybe 7-8k concurrently with adaptive bitrate streaming can someone tell me which hardware and software to choose

Thanks

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
hey guys

I am new to forums can someone help me setup a server for streaming video to my clients i have 10tb of videos in 720p and 480p i want a server that can handle 10k users and maybe 7-8k concurrently with adaptive bitrate streaming can someone tell me which hardware and software to choose

Thanks
10K as in 10,000 users? Or just 10?

ramblinreck47

Aug 3, 2019
10,000 users
Wow...unless you're ready to spend Netflix/Amazon type money on a server farm and multiple fiber installations, you're not going to come anywhere close. The amount of bandwidth and processing power for that many users is insane.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yea, and to piggy backoff the last post, no way you're getting that done with a single server unless you have that server connected to multiple disk shelves.

Kacman64

Apr 9, 2020
Yea, and to piggy backoff the last post, no way you're getting that done with a single server unless you have that server connected to multiple disk shelves.
Yes but i saw netflix open connect appliance how do they handle this much user from just 1u rack server

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yes but i saw netflix open connect appliance how do they handle this much user from just 1u rack server
That 1u rack server is housing just the compute components (CPUs, RAM, HBA's, etc.). Those 1U servers having to be connected to multiple disk enclosure withi probably hundreds of disks to be able to provide that kind of spinning disk IO.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
If you just want to have a uber file share for people, that is easy. Server with enough memory to hold the working set + fast storage to load that into memory as the set changes and somewhere with unrestricted 10G+ connection for cheap and good peering arrangements.

But a stable streaming platform is much more complex.

I would look into the professional video CDN's setup for this purpose if you want to just stream your content to users. There is a huge list of things to consider if you are trying to build a real streaming platform from scratch and have it reliable and stable for users in a geographic region and it is a specific set of skills and knowledge to build up the interconnects to the end user networks with enough bw to handle the bursty nature of video traffic.

Keep in mind that the netflix cache boxes are there to function as a L1 cache of the video for clients of the ISP alone, and the current versions essentially stream to the local ISPs network at 10g+ from memory or NVMe. All the smarts and coordination is handled in other places and specific chunks are handed off to be served by the local cache servers so that Netflix's transit connections are not flooded with traffic. All the other CDNs use a variation on the same strategy and place cache nodes in key areas from a network peering perspective to minimize the costs they pay delivering content.

Some considerations off the top of my head:
- Number of unique content items in library, excluding transcodes for different profiles
- Average and max concurrent users you want to spend $ to support
- Are you working with live or prerecorded content or both?
- Geographic regions you are targeting?
- Do you need to license it differently by region or geo-lock it?
- What client platforms do you want to support?
- Are you using a customized player and have dev staff to build and maintain that?
- Is this a for-profit venture and how are you monetizing it / accounting for the users and content they watch?
- Do you need to worry about Ads?
- Have you transcoded and segmented the content in all the HLS and other profiles?
- Was the source material > 720p? If so 720p and 480p versions may not be enough for your user base.
- Rate at which new material is added to the collection
- Will there be huge spike of users watching the new content when it is added, and then load drops back to near nill?

If you don't know the answers to the above off the top of your head then I would strongly suggest working with a streaming CDN that has all of that figured out for you. They can also give you an idea of the costs you will incur.

Reactions: itronin