Video card for Intel S2600CP2J

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
Considering a build using an Intel S2600CP2J and a couple of E5-2650 ot e5-2665 procs. In looking at the motherboard specs, it is not clear whether or not the board supports PCI-E 3.0 (full speed) or whether the card slot space will allow a "full size" graphics card. There is a small heat sink near the end of the video card slot that looks like it might interfere with the video card installation. I have an "extra" GTX 751 TI that would be nice to use. I'll probably be using a 850watt or 1000watt power supply so that shouldn't be an issue.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Use the open ended slots instead, you can fit a full size card in those slots no problem. You're not missing out on bandwidth either, all the slots are x8 (x16 slot is electrically x8).

PCIe 3.0 works if you have a v2 processor. There's a whitelist of devices (of which almost nothing is on) that will run at PCIe 3.0 for v1 processors unless you revert to an old BIOS.

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure whether the x16 slot is electrically x8. In any case, full size cards do work in the open ended x8 slots.

Last edited:

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
As far that I know, 4x, 8x and 16x slots are intended for up to 25W PCIe Cards, while 16x also supports 75W if you're using a Video Card. Open ended PCIe Slots with Video Cards doesn't seems like a good idea because they aren't supposed to deliver 75W on the first place, which is one of the reasons why I am extremely biased for Powered Risers...

I hear that some new Video Cards (I think the latest GeForce 10xx series) are supposed to draw little from the slot itself and instead prefer to get most of its power from the PCIe power connector, so these should be the rather safe for your scenario, but I don't have solid info about how much they consume from the slot. I don't know neither how risky it is to use a Video Card in an open ended slot, or if I'm just overly cautious.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I'm OK with powering the video card from the power supply VGA connectors. I'm currently using a GTX 970 on my primary computer (ASRock EP2C602/4L-D16 motherboard with EVGA Supernova 850 B). It is powered directly (mostly) from direct connections to the power supply. I'm mostly concerned about the physical space around the dedicated video slot on that motherboard.

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
You didn't understand what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about Video Cards which have external power connectors (PCIe 6/8 Pins), I'm talking about the power draw from the PCIe Slot itself. Under no circunstance a Video Card should draw more than 75W from a PCIe Slot, since that is the limit of the PCIe specification. Actually, the Radeon RX 480 was in the news because it overloaded the PCIe Slot (Was supposedly fixed with a Firmware upgrade): High PCIe Slot Power Draw Costs RX 480 PCI-SIG Integrator Listing

What happens if you plug in a Video Card into a open ended slot which is capable of only 25W? Will the Video Card rebalance the power draw from its input to get these 50W from the PCIe power connector instead of the slot? Will it overload the PCIe Slot? What happens if you're using a Video Card with 150W TDP and a 6-Pin PCIe power connector, that is intended to get 75W from the slot and 75W from the 6 Pin PCIe? You would be 50W short in such scenario...

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
FWIW I've tried a GTX 1070, RX 480, and Radeon 7870 in the open ended slots and haven't encountered any issues whatsoever under heavy load.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I will be just fine with a GTX 750 TI from a current draw perspective even through it will also be supplemented by a 6-pin direct connection to the power supply.

But the question remains whether that full size video card will physically FIT into this Intel motherboard dedicated slot.

I hear you RyC. Looks like that might be an option. How did the card fit with the supports in place? Did you have to remove them? Looks like the extra wide cards I have might not fit.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Yes, I think most video cards wont fit in the top x16 slot. I've got a normal double width card in the bottom open ended slot and it fits fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I found a GTX 750 TI card, a short length card, in my stock of video cards. Gigabyte something or the other, but a working GTX 750 TI. PC board only extends to the slot lock. Fan and heatsink (Windforce) extends past the card a little, but should clear the mem slot OK.

I'm NOT a big fan of using a heavy card that isn't anchored firmly in the PCIe slot. Want to get it in the 16x dedicated slot if I can. If it is physically stable. Otherwise, it will end up in one of the open ended slots with a slot lock.

Dave_B

Dec 7, 2016
The top slot fits any standard sub 7" mini ITX size card. I ran an EVGA GTX 1060 SC in my S2600CP2J and it ran very nice. Several manufacturers make mini ITX GTX 1070 also - Gigabyte and Zotac are usually available.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
You didn't understand what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about Video Cards which have external power connectors (PCIe 6/8 Pins), I'm talking about the power draw from the PCIe Slot itself. Under no circunstance a Video Card should draw more than 75W from a PCIe Slot, since that is the limit of the PCIe specification. Actually, the Radeon RX 480 was in the news because it overloaded the PCIe Slot (Was supposedly fixed with a Firmware upgrade): High PCIe Slot Power Draw Costs RX 480 PCI-SIG Integrator Listing

What happens if you plug in a Video Card into a open ended slot which is capable of only 25W? Will the Video Card rebalance the power draw from its input to get these 50W from the PCIe power connector instead of the slot? Will it overload the PCIe Slot? What happens if you're using a Video Card with 150W TDP and a 6-Pin PCIe power connector, that is intended to get 75W from the slot and 75W from the 6 Pin PCIe? You would be 50W short in such scenario...
If this is to be believed: PCI Express - Wikipedia

It doesn't matter that the slots are open ended in regards to power draw. All the power pins are up front.

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
At this point, it looks like I will need to find a different video card. Maybe. The GTX 750 TI card, as short as it is, overhangs the memory slots and will not seat properly in the 16x video card slot. I will post a picture in the construction thread. It only draws 60 watts, but power isn't the issue. Physical vertical footprint is. I might try an open-ended slot after I get the system running ans stable.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I did double check, all slots are x8 (except one regular x8 slot steps down to x4 if everything's populated), so you won't necessarily lose anything by using the open ended slots

Bill1950

Aug 12, 2016
I just went through the motherboard documentation. I might have a dedicated sound card, maybe a SAS card and maybe a USB card. I won't be using the full-size slot. I like a little more ventilation for memory.

What advantage would it be to use slot 5? It goes to CPU2. What kind of device would benefit?