Video 7 server memory - who's chip manufacturer ??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
I've seen few nice prices for RDIMM 16GB from Video 7 on ebay... I never heard of that memory and I would like to know who makes chips for that memory so I can explore compatibility with my Xeon (ES).

Does anyone know who makes these chips ? Is it Hynix, Samsung, Micron ??

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
For those who google the same question; hereby my finding.

This 16GB and 32GB is Samsung RDIMM (upper left corner says "Samsung"). From the look to PCB and chips, it looks like 32GB model is:

32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P (-LD0-10-DC0 -- this is guess as is it's PCB design version and JDEC compliance standard)
Model: M386A4G40DM0-CPB (with IDT or Mondo AMB) meaning 0Q or 2Q suffixed

In this thread I provided some documents to decode memory based on chips and not only label, which helped me detect exact type of this unknown V7 sticks.

PS: Even for Dell, HP or Lenovo Samsung keeps their labels; as here they are missing I would dare to guess it's someone rebrands and sells modules and provides warranty. I guess refurbished because some of them are EOL.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You don't need a "Samsung" or "Hynix" label, the actual chips will say that on them too.
I don't see any brand I recognize on the chip.

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
If you look at the picture list on that page you'll see that the chips on the ram stick say "SEC" aka Samsung Electronics Corporation. This all assumes that that picture is an accurate representation of what you get.

Reactions: T_Minus

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
You don't need a "Samsung" or "Hynix" label, the actual chips will say that on them too.
I don't see any brand I recognize on the chip.
Nah, chips can be same but if expand memory by adding extra sticks, I like to have identical PCB design, AMB, same ODT resistors, same SPD timings and close weeks of manufacture; just in case, just little more attention on these details can save me of BSODs. Samsung label is very helpful, it gives hardware pcb revision, chip version, amb etc; it helps a lot.

If you look at the picture list on that page you'll see that the chips on the ram stick say "SEC" aka Samsung Electronics Corporation. This all assumes that that picture is an accurate representation of what you get.
Oh, if product doesn't correspond to the image; I return it. I am long past these kind of of games on ebay.

Last edited: