Very slow esxi 6 or 6.5 response with X9SRH motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
My SM X9SRH-7TF motherboard for some reason, has a very delayed and slow response whether in esxi 6 or esxi 6.5 , be it with the web interface or vsphere. My X9DR3, Intel S2600IP4 and even other non server grade motherboards do not have such a slow response. Evey click or page scroll is exceedingly long.

Is there some special setting that I need to tick/untick?

name stolen

Feb 20, 2018
Could it possibly be the mouse mode in IPMI? Relative/absolute/auto

If we're talking access through a client, then networking is involved, so maybe less-than-optimal driver for the LOM?

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Have you tried via ssh? Slow also?
Can you check esxtop to see whether its a specific process taking time?
Checked logs for errors?
OS Drive full/dying/write issues?

sinisterDei

Mar 25, 2018
Houston, TX
The OS drive is where I would be looking; are you installed onto a USB stick or a disk/SSD somewhere? If USB, you might try reinstalling on a better USB stick.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks everyone for your inputs.
Its the same in SSH. Not using a VPN, all my esxi servers are within the same network.
I have tried various USB drives, including ones that work fine in my other supermicro boards, and also new ones. Same effect.

What is the "mouse mode" in IPMI? What should it be set to when I find it?
What extop commands to issue to check any process slowing this down?

thanks again.

sinisterDei

Mar 25, 2018
Houston, TX
I would check the contents of the vmkernel log then, to see if there are any repeating errors or warnings there. Is it just the ESX management interfaces that are slow? In other words, are the guest VMs performing appropriately and it's *only* management that is slow?

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Hi @sinisterDei,
What specifically should I see in the vmkernel log( where do I find this by the way)?
Its just the interface that are slow, the VM performance are all ok. Although this may not be related, when I do a cold backup of the VMs using xsibackup, the VMs in this server also does not backup completely as a cronjob. But when I do it adhoc, its fine.

sinisterDei

Mar 25, 2018
Houston, TX
So, I don't know exactly what you're looking for in the vmkernel log. I'd just look for warnings that repeatedly appear in the logs as a place to start.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
esxtop just checking whether there is any process hogging cpu.

Ok, so its only affecting this board ? I'd start with resetting CMOS then to ensure no rogue Bios setting or hickup

Things to try to identify the root cause:
- Move USB stick to other board, check behavior
- Move USB stick from other board to this, check behavior
- Try Non USB boot type (to identify incompatibility with USB/broken USB controller, can be one time boot from installation CD or Live CD)
- Is it only ESX or other OS too (after installation if above check was fine)

Lets take it from there

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
@Rand_
Thanks! I changed the ESXI usb stick to a different USB port , it seems much more responsive .
Hopefully that's it.