Very Slow Data Transfer between two Internal Volume on Synology NAS

Discussion in 'NAS Systems and Networked Home and SMB Software' started by Ksec, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Ksec

Ksec New Member

I tried both File Copy within File Station, both Move to and Copy to had the same results. I try changing Shared Folder location to a different volume. The results were the same.

Even with Multiple GB files, ( Seq Write and not 4K Small Files ) , it max out at 18MB/s. That is even slower than my USB 2.0 HDD speed. For something that is transferring internally under the same NAS between two SATA 3Gbps HDD that should be able to perform within 150-200MB/s

Anyone have any idea why that is the case. Here is an image of my transfer speed.

Synology Slow Transfer

This is two different "Basic" volume under the same NAS. No Rebuild, No Expansion, No Encryption, No File Indexing, No Speed Limit in File Station. This is on a ancient 212J, but CPU speed should not make much difference to file transfer. And neither was CPU speed maxed out during file transfer.

Anyone could provide a technical explanation as to why this is happening?

2. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Have you checked the drives via smart?

3. UhClem

UhClem New Member

Is Write_Caching disabled (on destination drive) ?
    Is Read_Lookahead disabled (on source drive) ?
    Is either drive in PIO mode (non-DMA) ?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  4. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

What model drives, how many, and what raid format is it setup in?
    What type/size of files are being transferred, alot of tiny files? or large individual ones?