Vertical CPU fan for X8SIL-F or X9SCL-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jbiss

Jan 5, 2011
Canada
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the stock Intel CPU fan on both my servers with an after-market vertical CPU fan in order to streamline the airflow. There is a sale on at NCIX for the Corsair A70 (NCIX link) however I'm not sure if the fan is to large/ wide for the motherboard. There isn't that much room between the CPU and the RAM modules.

Has someone installed a Corsair A70 fan on either a Supermicro X8SIL-F or X9SCL-F that can confirm if it fits or not? Do builders have any other suggestions for a vertical CPU fan to replace the stock Intel ones? Thanks.

fnc1

Sep 23, 2011
goofyHSK: Are those Noctura's fans as quiet as they say? Does that one have the rippled blades?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I had the 90ish mm noctuas on a 4P G34 system. Fairly quiet but very expensive. One heatsink I really liked was the Dynatron A1. Huge block of copper. Not sure if they make anything similar for LGA 1155/1156

emc

Sep 15, 2011
I use the XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing cooler ... works fine for me

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
goofyHSK: Are those Noctura's fans as quiet as they say? Does that one have the rippled blades?
Noctua fans are as quiet as they say they they are.

I'll take picture of my setup I have a Huge Noctua Horizontal cooler to also blow air onto the Heatsinks all around the CPU socket and RAM.

Jbiss

Jan 5, 2011
Canada
To do a follow-up, thanks everyone for you suggestions. I ended up going with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro REV.2 CPU Heat sink Cooler as it was pretty cheap (25$ on sale). The bottom of the fan is right above the RAM modules but it isn't touching. I have run stress (on Fedora) and with my Intel Xeon E3-1230 running all cores, the temperature hasn't gone above 49 degrees Celsius. The temperature under a normal load stays around 30 degrees.

The fan is super quiet so allow with keeping the CPU cool, I am very happy with this heat sink.

Jbiss

Jan 5, 2011
Canada
You're right GoofyHSK, the CPU temp stays at Low but the whole chasis is now cooler due to better air flow.

Metaluna

Dec 30, 2010
Great to know. For $25 that is very affordable.
Yep, there's no need to go crazy on cooling with these low power Xeons unless you're shooting for ultimate silence. Or if you're overclocking, but that's not gonna happen with an X8SIL-F. Some other good $25 coolers are the Xigmatek SD963 mentioned earlier, as well as the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and Hyper TX3.