Verrified List of Threadripper X399 Motherboards that function in ECC mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
like the gigabyte X79S-up5-wifi is actually c606 based. i tested that board too and the weird thing is the 16gb ecc rdimm i have didn't work on it.... that actually really surprised me. i know the www page for it says only udimm but was hoping that the c606 chipset would support rdimm but i guess not..needless to say, i sent that board right back to where it came from..

My search for a single cpu socket 2011 v2 board that meets ALL the following criteria continues:

Proper S3 sleep and awake under win10 1803,
support rdimm ecc,
support all v2 cpu (including OEM like 2696 v2).
have 8 ram slots,
able to use more than 3 pcie x16 at once (does not have to be all at x16 speed)

I can tell you that i haven't been able to find a single X79/c60x or any 2011 v2 board that will meet all the above criteria...

The lenovo s30 comes closest, failling only on the fact it can't use 2696 v2 cpu (which is weird because the dual socket D30 does support 2696 v2 and meet all the above criteria but it is obviously not a single socket board....

Why is it so hard to find a single socket 2011 v2 MB that meets all the above criteria? ;(

Last edited:

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Back on topic (X399 boards) I actually did try rimms right after launch because it was the only ECC ram I had extra of at the time. Obviously did not work, but it was a shot in the dark because epyc supports it. I know other people tried booting epycs in TR boards and it halted early in the post cycle.

These days I only feed my TRs sweet sweet samsung b-die unbuffered ECC. M391A1K 8GB and A2K 16GB are the only things out there, you could get super talent sometimes but my last order took months to get back "in stock" and they actually sent me samsung ram with stickers on top LOL.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
yeap, that's the problem with TR. seems like it only support udimm so you can try 16gb udimm ecc or non ecc. but it's not as widely or as cheaply available as 16gb ecc rdimm. so that's the main problem

as for 32gb ecc or non ecc udimm good luck finding those at reasonable price... if you can even find them ..... 32gb ecc rdimm ddr4 are fairly available. 32gb lrdimm 2133 is actually only $250 each right now...

Riok

Dec 28, 2017
X99 do seem to support RDIMM

The LGA 2011/2011-3 platforms are hybrid UDIMM and RDIMM, you can use either. I suppose that it may be possible that a given Motherboard like X79/X99 uses another memory wiring layout that is hardwired for UDIMM only since they are not expected to use RDIMM. However, some manufacturers uses the same PCB for both their Xeons E5 (Which oficially supports both UDIMM and RDIMM) and Core i7 HEDT (Which oficially supports UDIMM only), like Supermicro with their X10SRA and C7X99-OCE, so it may be possible that RDIMM works in those since Intel doesn't seem to restrict RDIMM support if the Xeon E5 is used with the consumer Chipsets (I'm not sure if Core i7 HEDT works with RDIMM or Intel limits Processor support. ECC itself is optional, so the module should work).
Hello, I started a thread on Anandtech to list x99 boards that accept ECC or REG ECC modules:
List of X99 motherboards compatible with ECC memory ?

@zir_blazer: About the pudget article: they plugged in REG ECC kits but how do they know the error correction was working ??

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
it is my understanding no x99 boards will work with registered ram. Just not possible.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'm running an ASRock X99-WS with a Xeon and registered ECC. From their spec sheet it's listed as supported:
Supports DDR4 ECC, un-buffered memory/RDIMM with Intel® Xeon® processors E5 series in the LGA 2011-3 Socket
@zir_blazer: About the pudget article: they plugged in REG ECC kits but how do they know the error correction was working ??
Under linux you can see in dmesg and via edac-util, in windows a quick way is to check the memory doofer via these WMI commands:
Code:
wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection
wmic memorychip get datawidth, totalwidth
A result of 6 from the first command means multi-bit ECC is present, a totalwidth of 72 from the second command confirms ECC is available.

Last edited:

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
oh. sorry. my appologies. I mean x399. I do know for a fact that x99 will take reg ram