vCenter Content Library Trouble

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TravelersWill

Jan 25, 2020
Attempting to consolidate 13 PCs scattered about the house into two headless Supermicro 846 chassis (SM) w/ dual Xeon E5-2620 v2 fresh bought off ebay for homelab/media etc.
I've installed esxi 6.7u3b onto each chassis. Converted my copies of Server 2012 & 2016 to rufus usb and loaded them onto a vCenter Custom Library(CL) intending to setup dual AD, DNS, DHCP to address networking first. It asked for a datastore to host the CL, so I placed it on SM1. I can see the CL content on SM1 but it is unavailable on SM2. Publishing made no difference.
Further research seems to indicate that there must be a vCenter installed separately on each esxi host in order for both to access the CL. Is this so? It seems absurd.
It seemed the whole idea of HA/clustering was based on having a single vCenter administration. Also, I was hoping to stay within the constraints of VMUG and thought only 1 vCenter Instance was allowed.
Or is this a downside of not having a network storage or shared storage and being hyperconverged as it were?

mathiastro

Oct 12, 2016
I guess your second host don't have access to the datastore on your first host. You don't use a shared storage?

TravelersWill

Jan 25, 2020
I guess your second host don't have access to the datastore on your first host. You don't use a shared storage?
Ah, no shared storage.

Yeah, it seems that an awful lot of the vSphere tech depends on having, or presumes that one has, shared storage so the Content Library is worthless unless one has a SAN or iSCSI attach.