Vail RC out, partners talking about DE replacements

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NfiniteZERO

Feb 2, 2011
Hrm...looks like they pulled the article.

Part of me was very curious how the OEMs left in the WHS market were going to adapt to building their machines without DE. The other part of me is in love with all the contradiction. I agree that RAID isn't a consumer (nor a backup) technology and Microsoft advises against it for usage in WHS, yet that's the only option they're leaving folks.

I know I'll probably still invest in it, but I just don't see very many new adopters of the software from the market these OEMs are trying to target. Maybe I'm wrong. It'll be interesting to say the least.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Datacore = vapor. A lot of hot air in that 'interview', they haven't even started on a DE drop-in replacement yet and statements like "When Microsoft approached us about their plans to remove Drive Extender" sound ridiculous, at several points he tries to imply Microsoft is consulting for company for advice. I doubt Microsoft has even heard of these guys. At best they were part of the OEM program and got notification of the DE cancellation a bit earlier than public.

More power to "Carlos Carreras" he's trying to get some ink and doing a bit of a fake-it-till-you-make-it hustle now. And if they do ever come out with a product then the more the merrier, of course.

Last edited:

NfiniteZERO

Feb 2, 2011
Datacore = vapor. A lot of hot air in that 'interview', they haven't even started on a DE drop-in replacement yet and statements like "When Microsoft approached us about their plans to remove Drive Extender" sound ridiculous, at several points he tries to imply Microsoft is consulting for company for advice. I doubt Microsoft has even heard of these guys. At best they were part of the OEM program and got notification of the DE cancellation a bit earlier than public.

More power to "Carlos Carreras" he's trying to get some ink and doing a bit of a fake-it-till-you-make-it hustle now. And if they do ever come out with a product then the more the merrier, of course.
Yeah, I know it's hot air and he's doing the hustle right now. Carlos seems pretty confident that their product will deliver. It'll be interesting either way it turns out. Still quite a bit of folks who like the idea of DE for "hassle-free" expansion.