Utility for locating HD's, does one exist?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
All it would need to do is blink the activity light when selected. Sure would make my life a lot easier. :)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
My LSI Storage Manager have this features ?? Maybe more details on what OS and which controller you want to do this from ?

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Hmmm, didn't know LSI SM had this feature, thanks.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Is it in a hardware array? If so, you probably need to mess with the controller.

Otherwise, if it is in a software array, particularly under an xnix, just "dd if=the_drive of=/dev/null" and see which drive light comes on hard.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
2 are FreeNAS boxes running Z2 arrays and the reset are JBODs. I have 4 SM 846's and it's a PITA to locate a particular drive. I usually shut down the server and look until I find the right drive. If I could get it to flash or turn on the activity light I wouldn't have to shut them down. Haven't checked the LSI SM yet but I'm fixing too.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
2 are FreeNAS boxes running Z2 arrays and the reset are JBODs. I have 4 SM 846's and it's a PITA to locate a particular drive. I usually shut down the server and look until I find the right drive. If I could get it to flash or turn on the activity light I wouldn't have to shut them down. Haven't checked the LSI SM yet but I'm fixing too.
I use LSI's sas2ircu's LOCATE command. This works on IT as well as IR controllers.
Code:
LSI Corporation SAS2 IR Configuration Utility.
Version 20.00.00.00 (2014.09.18) 
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved.

sas2ircu <controller #> LOCATE <Encl:Bay> <Action> [Wait [Time]]
    where <controller #> is:
      A controller number between 0 and 255.
    where <Encl:Bay> is:
      A valid Enclosure and Bay pair to identify
      the drive
    where <Action> is:
      ON   -  turn ON the drives LED 
      OFF  -  turn OFF the drives LED 
    where [Wait [Time]] is: 
      Minimum time location indicator blink for a particular drive
           optional option, valid only for ON action
      Time -  Waiting time between 1 to 60 seconds

Examples: sas3ircu 1 locate 1:3 ON 
                   sas3ircu 1 locate 1:3 ON WAIT 10
          sas3ircu 1 locate 1:3 OFF

SAS2IRCU: Utility Completed Successfully.
There's also a sas3ircu for newer controllers.

HOWEVER, this only works if you have the backplane SGPIO connected to the controller, either via a multi-lane SAS cable with sidebands or a dedicated SGPIO cable - the Supermicro backplane second LEDs are only available via the SGPIO interface.

Reactions: Fritz