Using ZFS with 'SMR' drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
I know these type of drives are primarily for cold-storage use, and really not intended for use in a RAID set (at least not one that does not know how to address SMR drives).

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Seagate haters, I'd like to know if anyone has used two or more of this type of drive with ZFS. For non-changing items like media libraries, these would be a nice cost optimized path. I am aware of the performance issues that may arise with heavy writing or re-writing to SMR drives, but that should be minimized if an SMR pool is only used for slow/non-changing media. I'd most like to hear if anyone has done RAID-Z or RAID-Z2 with this type of drive, and if they had any problems with the storage pool.

I may pick one up just to see how they perform in a single drive pool, with the data backed up in an offline array of multiple disks. It should still benefit from the lower power usage for fewer online drives and can still scrub for errors to find them, even if it can't repair them.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
A 3 or more drive RAID-Z or RAID-Z2 pool would be interesting to see. Just to make sure the drives don't drop out or the pool chokes. Performance of writing to the pool I'm sure would not be great and accept that, but the reads from it might be useful, just to gauge how many streams from the pool would be realistic.

I'm planning on testing the single drive (non-redundant, but still check-summed) pool on ZFS. But if someone has 3+ SMR drives and is willing to test it out, that would be really cool and useful I think.

Is there any plan to natively support SMR drives in ZFS? Probably too early to say.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Trying to decide on a server to setup for this test... and if I need to figure out libzbc or not...

FreeNAS good enough? I can do 3 x 8TB SMR and 3x 4tb regular and compare performance.
I don't do these non-traditional raid setups much so I could use some guidance.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
Thanks for that info Gea! Looks like it would almost have to be implemented, but may be a while.

Patriot - FreeNAS is fine, should be a good test. What SMR drives do you have?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Thanks for that info Gea! Looks like it would almost have to be implemented, but may be a while.

Patriot - FreeNAS is fine, should be a good test. What SMR drives do you have?
8TB Seagate.

Setup the server... E5-2609 v1, kinda wimpy can throw in something meatier if needed. Dropped in 4x 16gb 10600R's, H220/9205-8i, 4x 10Gbps nic and the 3x 8TB SMR drives.

I have no clue on tuning ZFS but managed to get a pool setup.

Last edited: