Using old drives in a new system

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LL0rd

Feb 25, 2020
Hey guys, currently I have a problem with my server. I’m using ZFS on linux. In my current configuration I’ve got 4x 3TB drives as raidz1 and 2x 4TB drives as mirror. Both put together into a single pool:

Code:
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    data1       DEGRADED     0     0     0
      raidz1-0  DEGRADED    24     0     0
        sda     ONLINE       0     0     0
        sde     DEGRADED    25     0     0  too many errors
        sdd     ONLINE       0     0     0
        sdf     FAULTED     24     0     0  too many errors
      mirror-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
        sdb     ONLINE       0     0     0
        sdc     ONLINE       0     0     0
Few days ago, one drive start to fail, then another. On this machine about 10TB was used. Currently I bought one 10TB drive and I’m copying now the data from the raid to the 10TB drive. And as an upgrade, I bought 2x 4TB drives.

When I use 4x 4TB drives as raidz1 I got about 12TB of storage. That’s not that much. My final idea is to buy another 3x 10TB drives and add them to the Array. But at the current price over 300€ a drive, I can’t afford it.

Another Idea is to use the two 3TB drives and add additional 3x 2TB drives together as a 5x 2TB Raidz1 to the 4x 4TB storage pool. So I’m going to get additional 8TB.

The question is, is this a good idea? Because if I get the other 3x10TB drives, I have to copy the data to the new Pool, and destroy the other. Or is it a better idea just to wait till I can afford the 3x 10TB drives and work with the single 10TB drive and use backups “instead” of redundancy?