Using new FreeNAS Corral Peering to replicate ZFS datasets between two FreeNAS systems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm still having trouble here. With two Corral systems that were both upgrades from 9.10 everything appears to work, the replication links get built, etc.

On the target system the new dataset is created and a 'zfs list' shows it to be about the right size. I can see it is made up of one snapshot (as expected).

But...the content is not visible on the target.

At this point I'm thinking I have some strange ACL issue going on. When I get some time I'll try to create a new, clean dataset and try it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
We have the guide to using the new FreeNAS Corral Peering feature to replicate ZFS datasets between two FreeNAS systems for automated backups
Do you have throughput numbers for both an initial replication and subsequent ones? My "roll your own" FreeBSD solution using BBCP + ZREP does the initial replication at about 700MByte/sec and subsequent incrementals at 550-600Mbyte/sec (info here).

Reactions: T_Minus

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I'm still having trouble here. With two Corral systems that were both upgrades from 9.10 everything appears to work, the replication links get built, etc.

On the target system the new dataset is created and a 'zfs list' shows it to be about the right size. I can see it is made up of one snapshot (as expected).

But...the content is not visible on the target.

At this point I'm thinking I have some strange ACL issue going on. When I get some time I'll try to create a new, clean dataset and try it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's the same issue I faced, by default all snapshots (including replication jobs) seem to be read only when they hit the destination system. You have to 'zfs clone zpool/datasetname@snapshotdatestamp zpool/datasetname-rw' THEN you can access/see data (In my case surfaced up to vSphere via NFS share).

Off IRC this morning on the FreeNAS channel.

• whitey_

one last thing and then I will leave ya'll alone...I noticed my replication jobs while they work great, they seem to come over as read-only...only way to make the data accessible is through that clone from cli via ssh in session and THEN the dataset is avail to be mounted to my vSphere env and then I can see data
  • whitey_

is that by design or should they come over RW?
  • 9:33:53 AM
  • 9:34:09 AM
    whitey_

if it is by design then the clone snapshot thing becomes a bit more important/useful right
  • 9:34:14 AM
    whitey_

ok ok, I'll quite whining now
  • 9:34:17 AM
    whitey_

just observations
  • 9:34:35 AM
    whitey_

again, STELLAR job on the release!
  • 9:38:22 AM

• cbreak

whitey_: snapshots are always read only

Reactions: T_Minus

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Just tried this out and I can't believe how easy it was. Granted I've never used 9.10 before.