Using Intel Integrated Graphics in Supermicro X11SSL-CF

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

notnand42

Sep 16, 2022
I have a Intel Xeon E3-1245-v6, which has integrated graphics but the Motherboard Supermicro X11SSL-CF always picks up only the ASPEED graphics instead of the Intel one.

I saw some blogs which told to choose IGFX in BIOS but I don't see that option. I have attached a screenshot.

Is it even possible to use the Intel Xeon integrated graphics with this Motherboard? Am I missing anything? The BIOS is up to date with version 2.6.
noIGFX.jpg

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
This is not supported for video output. The VGA port and IPMI console only work with the ASPEED output.

If you want to use other graphics, you need a PCIe GPU.

notnand42

Sep 16, 2022
@oneplane Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to use the Intel's quicksync feature for plex. So, from what I understand from your reply, I can't use it at all? I need an external GPU which has quicksync to do it?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
If you want to use QuickSync, Plex will probably be fine as it doesn't need an attached monitor for that to work. There are some firmwares that disable the integrated GPU but I don't think SuperMicro does that.

Plex logs the available features on startup, including QuickSync if it can find it.

notnand42

Sep 16, 2022
I haven't deployed my software yet as I recently built my hardware. I watched this video:
and got confused that it might affect my motherboard as well.

A noob question: can intel quicksync work even if the Integrated graphics is not enabled by the motherboard? More broadly, is it a CPU feature or a GPU feature?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I saw some blogs which told to choose IGFX in BIOS but I don't see that option
this mobo does not power the integrated GPU of the processor, so you can not use it.
there are some rare supermicro board which do not have a video output from CPU but do power the iGPU so you can use it for transcoding.
this feature also has to be supported by the chipset
C232 no
C236 yes

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
this mobo does not power the integrated GPU of the processor, so you can not use it.
there are some rare supermicro board which do not have a video output from CPU but do power the iGPU so you can use it for transcoding.
this feature also has to be supported by the chipset
C232 no
C236 yes
Ah yes, the C-series segmentation was the biggest difference. If you can't see the iGPU you can be pretty sure you're out of luck in this case. I wonder how much cheaper it was for the manufacturers to simply not power the GPU instead of leaving the power pins intact. Perhaps it's the power phase reduction (and overal power budget) that is the biggest factor (besides the PCH).

notnand42

Sep 16, 2022
Ahh, thanks for the clarification. That is what I was worried about when I checked my BIOS.

As a sidenote, how important is transcoding feature? I will probably be using plex/jellyfin in my LAN just for myself.

notnand42

Sep 16, 2022
Thanks a lot everyone for your help and references :)

I think I was a bit naive when I got this board second hand. The seller actually misled me by telling it supports quicksync. I really didn't know the intricacies of different chipset effects on the supermicro mobo to allow quick sync. Anyway, lesson learned :)

At least I know the issue now :)

Marsh

May 12, 2013
If you could returned the SM X11SSL board for refund.

My preference is Gigabyte C246 board, it support Intel AMT , vpro ( IPMI , remote power on/off , remote KVM ).
It supports quick sync for plex or emby. 10 sata ports , 2 m.2 slots. dual 1gb network.

Gigabyte w480 board is a generation newer , it has 2.5gbe port and 1gbe port.

Reactions: notnand42