Users/owners of certain HPE SAS SSDs will want to check and update firmwares.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Sorry to hear that. Well, I googled a little bit and found D40Y from dell, which is newer than D40W if I recall alphabet correctly) and doesn't have this minimum D40W requirement. It could have worked for you but I think that real trouble is depicted in your description:
I was using these drive in a zfs array and over the weekend we lost power at the house and when it was restored, the drive locked up with the symptom describe in the issues (drive reporting 0 size) and the array failed.
Accept my sincere condolences but according to cisco your drive is paperweight now:

cisco_symptoms.PNG

P.S. I think this thread has to be sticky for a while.

Attachments

Last edited:

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah this is very unfortunate, I spent pretty penny for the drive a few years back :(
I tried to upgrade to D40Y and I am getting the same error as other firmware file basically no compatible firmware is found.
If I use DUP and modify the payload file, I am getting "the operation failed because the installed firmware version did not support an update"
Very disappointed with how everything turns out :(

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
Sorry to hear that. Well, I googled a little bit and found D40Y from dell, which is newer than D40W if I recall alphabet correctly) and doesn't have this minimum D40W requirement. It could have worked for you but I think that real trouble is depicted in your description:

Accept my sincere condolences but according to cisco your drive is paperweight now:

View attachment 14413

P.S. I think this thread has to be sticky for a while.

That's not always the failure mode. If you use sandisk's utility or sg_format, you might be able to bring back up the drive. It was due to buggy firmware where when the drive has in-flight data and there's a power outage,the drive may brick itself.

These drives while performant are definetly not the sharpest pencil in sandisk's books.

I have 12 of the same Dell branded drives that are running E40U firmware that for the life of me cannot find any updates :(

azev

Jan 18, 2013
That is exactly what happened in my case, and this was not the first time that it happened. Basically like you said whenever the server lost power abruptly or forced power cycle due to crash sometime this would happened. I also concluded that this is just a super buggy firmware. My drive have very low power on hours (less than 10K) and they are still usable. For now I plan to only use this for some kind of scratch drive or something similar where I dont mind loosing data on it and wont crashed the entire system. The drive spec and performance is amazing but man this firmware issue is just terrible. I had the accent version (mixed used) and I was able to upgrade them to P405 from sandisk website, so far those drive have been working for at least 1 year without issue. Just gotta figure out the magic on how to upgrade the firmware to get rid of all the bugs.