Users/owners of certain HPE SAS SSDs will want to check and update firmwares.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
Reactions: Rock

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Is there anyone with these DELL branded Sandisk Lightning II drives try to install the new firmware ??
I have a few of them, but I have no dell server; and the update does not seems to work for me.

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
I have 400GB and 1.6 TB versions of the Cisco branded ones, I assume they are also affected?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Is there anyone with these DELL branded Sandisk Lightning II drives try to install the new firmware ??
I have a few of them, but I have no dell server; and the update does not seems to work for me.
I flashed 4 of them in a Dell R710 chassis. If you look at the Linux version of the firmware update from Dell, you'll see that it is a gigantic shell script that unpacks into a scratch directory. Most of these have an --unpack or -unpack flag to unpack and stop before executing). Then it is just a case of finding all of the places where the scripts check to make sure the utility is running on the correct type of Dell system, and patching around it. The Dell update utilities know how to find drives behind any of Dell's RAID controllers, but probably won't find the drives if they are behind a generic LSI RAID controller. Worst case, you should be able to find the firmware blob in the unpacked kit and send it to the drive via host commands ("camcontrol download" on FreeBSD, probably something with sg3_utils on Linux).

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@Terry Kennedy I tried following your instruction and extracted the linux bin file; I think I found the firmware file inside the payload folder (D417.fwh) however I tried using camcontrol fwdownload & sg_write_buffer command with no luck. Probably the next step is to find a local forum member with dell server that are willing to hook me up :)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I think I finally found the reason why my updates keep failing no matter what I tried. I found a dell link for firmware version D40Z with this statement; "Minimum required drive firmware is D40W. If you do not have at least D40W firmware, please upgrade to it first."

So I am now in the quest of finding that Firmware, but Dell website is so hard to navigate. I wonder if anyone here with dell contract willing to open a ticket and see if we could get firmware D40W for these drive, i would call him my hero :)
I spent hours trying to find it with no luck, maybe just my google foo is lacking. My current drive is running D40S firmware but the label on the drive say it was D40Q so it was updated at least once in its life.

I was using these drive in a zfs array and over the weekend we lost power at the house and when it was restored, the drive locked up with the symptom describe in the issues (drive reporting 0 size) and the array failed.

These are great SLC drive with almost unlimited endurance, I would really hate to not able to use them again.

Thanks

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
wow who writes shitty code like that? 40k hours, or the previous one 32k hours.
I know in embedded code every bit stored probably counts, but to select a 16bit int to store something like hours run, and then fail when it overflows that is just slobby.

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
I’ve updated all my Cisco drives.

FYI, the new drive firmware is labelled “C405“ (it’s not documented anywhere at this point)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@DRAGONKZ Can you share the firmware file ?? I am grasping for straws here who knows Cisco firmware would work on my SSD.

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
There are no individual files as such, you either use an update iso if the server is managed as stand alone, or a package bundle is it’s managed by UCS.

I guess you could try downloading the stand alone updates iso and browsing through it to try and find the relevant files.

If you have lots of drives it could be easier finding someone on here to update them for you?

azev

Jan 18, 2013
I think mine is a dell version so maybe the next thing I need to do is find someone here in forums to help me get these drive upgraded to the latest firmware in their dell system. Anyone want to volunteer ?? I don't mind paying some $$ for a successful upgrade :)

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I think mine is a dell version so maybe the next thing I need to do is find someone here in forums to help me get these drive upgraded to the latest firmware in their dell system. Anyone want to volunteer ?? I don't mind paying some $$ for a successful upgrade :)
You might want to mention where you're located, in that case.

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Can you share the firmware file ?? I am grasping for straws here who knows Cisco firmware would work on my SSD.
Here is the cisco C405 firmware for Sandisk Lightning Ascend Gen II. Cisco had only been offering this ssd in two flavors: 400GB and 1600GB, but the firmware file is the same for both.

Ascend gen II.PNG

Attachments

azev

Jan 18, 2013
@Whaaat thank you much for sharing the file, Unfortunately I was not able to flash the firmware to a cisco version :(
I think I am now trully stuck until someone can help me find D40W firmware from dell; I tried everything I can think of with no luck.
Unfortunately I have no dell system that I can open a ticket with :(