Used Access Point Recommendation: Range over Speed & Features

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I volunteer at a small educational non-profit that's been using a cheap consumer 802.11n WiFi router (connected to an ISP provided wired router) as an AP for wireless at their small warehouse/offices (~2500 sf). Its finally dying, and I thought a used low-end commercially oriented access point (Ruckus, Unifi, etc.) would work better than another cheap consumer WiFi router, for about the same cost.

But, I'm not super confident in my networking knowledge, especially in this area, so thought I'd ask what people would recommend. Their internet connection isn't very fast, they're mostly emailing and browsing, and never have more than a handful of devices connected at any time. So the ability to adequately cover the facility is more important than capacity and features.

I'm assuming EOL equipment is going to be relatively inexpensive on Ebay, but I don't know if I'm asking for a bunch of trouble buying EOL, or if one brand/series/model works better as a stand alone AP over another, or if there's issues with some EOL models due to no new firmware updates, etc. So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I would do Ruckus R710. Flash to unleashed firmware (freely available) and you're good to go.

Joel Miller <joel.miller@dedicatednetworksinc.com> has been offering me these refurb units for US$150 + shipping.

Just so we're clear, I think these units are good for about 200-300mbps NAT performance. How fast is the internet connection?
If you need a dedicated router, Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4 is solid.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Just so we're clear, I think these units are good for about 200-300mbps NAT performance. How fast is the internet connection?
Thanks for the recommend, and I've even bought from Dedicated Networks before!

Their internet is capped at 100Mbps, so no worries on speed.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
I would do Ruckus R710. Flash to unleashed firmware (freely available) and you're good to go.

Joel Miller <joel.miller@dedicatednetworksinc.com> has been offering me these refurb units for US$150 + shipping.

Would second the 710. With the 2 Ethernet ports on a 710 he can use gateway mode and forgo the cost of a dedicated router If not required for other reasons. Might still need a firewall and POE versus power adapter needs to be considered.

Reactions: Markess

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
if you are able to snap a R710 for $150, then it's no brainer and definitely go for it. The price of R710/R720 rises a lot on eBay due to the pandemic i believe.

ske4za

Feb 4, 2019
if you are able to snap a R710 for $150, then it's no brainer and definitely go for it. The price of R710/R720 rises a lot on eBay due to the pandemic i believe.
I was able to order two from Joel so I thank @j_h_o alot. Be advised these are the bare units; if you need to mount them anywhere you have to get the mount separately ( 902-0195-0000 for ceiling mount, 902-0120-0000 for secure mount).

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I usually mount this over a standard junction box, since the holes/threads line up nicely.
That's great to know, I never would have made that connection. I'm retrofitting one of the rooms in my house that didn't get wired when the house was built, and I'm going to add an AP. I anticipate having to surface mount everything on the wall/ceiling, so this is good to know!

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Yeah, I was happy when it came and I tested it out. The Ruckus mount comes with drywall screws, which I kinda hate. I usually put a junction box in or just use old Ubiquiti mount plates in the attic/ceiling, so the AP is supported by the entire mount plate, rather than just 4 screws.