Use SMB DFS with Solaris or OmniOS.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rchristophe

Aug 29, 2016
Hello,
I am looking to use the SMB Distributed File System (Microsoft DFS) functionality of OmniOS CE (kernel and not samba)
There is not a lot of documentation on the net.

According to the Solaris documentation, this should work without any server-side configuration :
"No configuration is required on the SMB server to use the DFS feature. You can use the DFS tools that are available on Windows systems to create and manage the stand-alone namespace in the Oracle Solaris OS."

But when I try to create stand-alone DFS namespace from a post under windows 7 with dfsutil, I get an access denied.

Does anyone in the forum use this feature?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I do not use DFS but would asume that the permission problem can be solved

when Windows7 and Solaris/OmniOS are AD members or
alternatively when you create same users with same passwords on Windows and Solaris/OmniOS. I would start with a user root (full permissions on Solaris, optionally add to group administrators on Windows and Solaris) for first tests.

rchristophe

Aug 29, 2016
the OmniOSCe server and the Windows 7 workstation are AD members.
I am trying to use dfsutil from an AD user who is a member of the local Administrator group on the Windows 7 computer.
This user is mapped to the root user on the OnmiOSCE server (winuser: adminxxxx@yy.yy.yy unixuser : root).

rchristophe

Aug 29, 2016
I just did a test after adding the user AD in the local group SMB administrators (via napp-it) on OmniOS CE server.
Access is now authorized from dfsutil.
Thank you GEA.

Do you know where can I find documentation for these local SMB groups?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Use Oracle Solaris manuals. For Illumos mostly Solaris 11.1 and 11.2 manuals are perfect, Operating Systems Documentation - Oracle Solaris Documentation

btw
Unix groups are not Windows compatible as they lack a lot of features (like groups in groups). This is why Solarish added an additional SMB group management. They behave like the local groups on a Windows machine.