use server 2016 with 4 NIC for routing

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
Ok so I have the following:
esxi 6.7 - 1
esxi 6.7 - 2 (well not yet but going to build)
freenas - so I can do vmotion
gaming rig
server 2016

now I have 10gb ib cards (old hp connect cx4 style) in each machine and got them working in a pier to pier mode. The only problem I have run into on these cards is I can only get the top port to activate. I get link lights with the cable attached but if I attempt to use any of the bottom ports, I do not get any link lights. Interestingly enough every O/S sees the 2nd port. states its there, sees the MAC, and all info but I cant get a dang activity light.

Is it possible to put 4 cards in my server and do pier to pier from each machine to the server, then configure all the IP's on the same subnet and have them all communicate with each other?
I have not done this before so not sure how to go about it. appreciate any help.. or better yet, help me figure out how to get the 2nd port activated and I don't need so many cards. hah.. going to post this in networking in a moment....

Roelf Zomerman

Jan 10, 2019
blog.azureinfra.com
Configuring all cards with the same IP addresses won't make Windows start acting like a switch all of a sudden.. so no that would not work..
your best shot here is to install the router mode (Routing & Remote Access) and configure each interface on a different subnet (and the other computers to the corresponding subnets').
That way your Windows server is now a central router between all the devices, but Broadcast traffic won't work..

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
I suggest you spend the $50 on something like this

HP J8433A ProCurve Switch 6400cl 6-Port 10Gb CX4 Switch JB433-80099 | eBay

its easier than the other methods.
Thanks.. I know nothing about these cards and was given all this stuff... I do have infiniband switches but don't think they will do IP... and while googling I landed on the instructions for that and it seems like it would work. I just needed someone that has used them to confirm that is what I need..

have you ever used one of them? easy to configure?

using a switch makes it easier for me as well as I have 15 foot cables (3m) and from my gaming, it will not reach but put the switch in the ceiling (in utility room lol out of site), and cable from pc to it, move it as far to the rest as I can, then connect others to it. done...

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
just put an offer on one... waiting on counter offer as what always happens.. then will buy and give a shot..

TeleFragger

Oct 26, 2016
so this is the switch I have... think its infiniband only...

Flextronics F-x430066 8 Port 4x SDR Infiniband