USB - PCIe Bridge hardware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cadillac

Aug 16, 2022
Multiple vendors offer USB 3.2 gen2 to PCI-E bridge IC-s (Realtek RTL9215, JMicron JMS583) , and also for higher speed USB (gen2x2, USB4). There are dozens of cheap USB - NVME enclosures built on these chips. I'm curious if there is a possibility to connect generic PCI-E cards to the USB bus using similar hardware, but did not find anything yet.

USB 3.2 gen 2 offers 10Gb/s, so the main interest for me is connection 10G NIC, or SATA controller with a few downstream ports. There is already m.2 form factor available for these addon cards (6 port SATA interface with ASM1166, EGPL-T101 10Gb NIC)

Since i did not find any useful information I've obtained both a RTL9215 and a JMS583 based USB NVME enclosures from the manufacturer "AXAGON". I did not have time to fuzz with them, but after a quick test, the inserted NVME drive appears as SCSI device. Inserting a generic PCIE addon card (with NVME to PCI-E riser) has no yield.

Any information on this topic is welcome. I will update with my findings.

cadillac

Aug 16, 2022
Did you provide power to the riser card? (else there won't be 12v for your PCIe add-in)
Yes, i did. But after checking the linux drivers source code for the RTL9215, i can see that the class is "Mass storage / SCSI", so i think these adapters are a dead-end for my purpose.